Chicken getting picked on

BoomChickWow

Chirping
May 20, 2023
I have a sweet hen that is at the bottom of the pecking order of my flock of 5 hens and she is getting bullied to the point her butt is bleeding. As soon as I noticed I gave her a bath and applied ointment. I have been cleansing it and applying vetericyn and blue kote. I was hoping the blue kote would stop them from pecking but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I separated the worst bully but then she was right back at it and now another hen has started. I know I can separate but I am afraid of it making her even more of a target when she joins back in. She hides out in the coop a lot. I feel so bad for her. Any suggestions on the best strategy or treatments? I see a lot of different suggestions for treatments and it can be overwhelming.

I would separate her to let her injury heal up. When you go to reintroduce, can you put the "bully" in jail a few days? I would reintroduce at night & give plenty of things for them to do to keep them from being bored. Give them plenty of space during the day so they aren't in close quarters.

Back
Top Bottom