Chicken growling noise? Is she mad at me?

Daisythechicken

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
This chicken is really small and shes a hen and i gave her a bath for mites and i took her out and blowdry her and she start making this noise when i pet her its like growl, is she mad at me? I put video but if it doesnt work its like growl a little bit but shes not pecking

Last edited:
Growling is a sign of anger in any animal, and in chickens, it is accompanied by fluffing up the feathers, most prominently the hackles. Growling is most often confused with purring, which is instead a sign of happiness and contentment, but sounds similar. Although, purring does not sound so sharp and angry.

That sounds like a purr, but a very sharp-sounding one. Purrs can sound different based on what the chicken's voice sounds like. When a chicken is growling, they will not close their eyes and look content likes yours.

This chicken is really small and shes a hen and i gave her a bath for mites and i took her out and blowdry her and she start making this noise when i pet her its like growl, is she mad at me? I put video but if it doesnt work its like growl a little bit but shes not pecking

OH I see it now!

She's trilling! She's happy:)

For information, this post would be better off going in the "Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying" section than the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" section, since there is nothing wrong with your chicken.

Ohh okay my bad i was just scared cause i thought she was upset cause shes in pain or something, i did not know chickens purr
Nothing is to be sorry about! You are simply asking a question. And yes, chickens purr, a fact that not many beginners know about! It sounds different from other animals like a cat, because it is louder and does not last as long, but it is still a purr. If you have any questions about chicken noises, ask us!

Sounds more like trilling to me. A.k.a danger danger. But if she is young it could be baby, angry broody growl.
In short, she is scared and angry at the situation.

Sounds more like trilling to me. A.k.a danger danger. But if she is young it could be baby, angry broody growl.
In short, she is scared and angry at the situation.
No she is not, this is very incorrect. An angry chicken would be fluffing up, growling, and pecking you. A trill is like a purr, which is a sound used for contentment.

Back
Top Bottom