Chicken puffed out and neck tucked in

lauren212

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2016
Ontario
I've had a barred rock that ever since I've gotten her is all puffed up a lot and she sits with her neck is tucked in. She's about 33 weeks old and hasn't laid any eggs. The others are all laying. She eats fine and her poop looks fine. She did have lice which I treated more than a month ago with dusting powder and I don't see any more. She has just grown a bunch of feathers because the lice made her loose a lot...that or she had a moult. She isn't as active as the other chickens but when I let them free range she is still excited to go out. Anything I should do?

If she's eating and drinking fine, then she isn't in immeadiate danger of dying. Feel around her abdomen. She could be internal laying. Not being as active as the other could be a few things, but as long as she is eating and drinking, then I wouldn't worry to much.

Yep she's eating and drinking fine and I felt her abdomen and don't feel anything unusual. Her comb is still very small compared to the others and its pale.

Here is a pic. Her beak was trimmed by the meninites...so sad looking. She's had this same posture for the whole time I've had her...over a month and a half.

The most effective treatment for coccidia is Corid. It's something that gets put in the drinking water. For it to be effective, all water sources need to be medicated. It's not really a medication, but a thiamine blocker. It will not do any harm to birds that don't need treatment. Eggs will still be fine to eat.

so I treated with corid but she's still the same. She definitely doesn't have diarrhea. Any other possibilities? I'm adding electrolytes in the water too now.

Back
Top Bottom