Chicken pulling out her own feathers

Newbie__123

Chirping
Feb 13, 2022
I have a chicken i got back.in march and shes been loseing feathers on her backend by her preening glad all of a sudden so i seperated her and went to her crate this morning to check on her and theirs feathers everywhere. I think shes the one pulling out her own feathers. What should i do. Ahes even pulling out her tail.featjers and its makeing her bleed. Shes a splash maran. I dont know what else to do.

Chickens loose feathers and regrow new one. This usually happens their second autumn. It is called molt. Some birds loose many feathers at one time others loose the feathers very slowly. Is this what is happening to your bird?

Chickens loose feathers and regrow new one. This usually happens their second autumn. It is called molt. Some birds loose many feathers at one time others loose the feathers very slowly. Is this what is happening to your bird?
No i just got them this year.

She is likely molting. It's that time of year. Give her time, the feathers will grow back
Idk. Do first year chickens molt? And do they loose tail feathers to? Not only that but sometimes i see blood so i think ahes pulling out her own feathers ..

More protein, not calcium is helpful if it's molting. She could be pulling her own feathers or the others could due to stressors like the amount of space they have, feed, boredom, jerkiness.

Was she a chick when you got her? Younger birds do go through juvenile molts as well. They are not always quite as noticeable as the yearly molt, but it can be a hard molt. Are any of your other birds loosing feathers? What is their coop set up like? What are you feeding them? Also take a close look for any type of bugs on her.

Idk. Do first year chickens molt? And do they loose tail feathers to? Not only that but sometimes i see blood so i think ahes pulling out her own feathers ..
Yes, some of my flock molted their first year and some did not. It was not a complete molt, but they did loose their tail feathers. If you don't see any parasites and are seeing blood, then either she or a flockmate is probably pulling her new pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom