Chicken repellent for protecting landscaping?

Wildhaus

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Is anyone aware of a repellent of any sort that will keep chickens out of the landscaping?

They have a huge covered run and coop during the day but we like to free range them when we are home in the evening. 10 acres to play in yet naturally they prefer scratching around in the few areas that we don't want them in. We've put up short garden fence in some areas to keep them out and it works ok, but we can't put fencing everywhere as it would detract from the aesthetics of even having the flower beds.

We use Liquid Fence and similar products to protect the flower beds and fruit trees/bushes from deer and rabbits but they don't seem to deter the chickens at all. I'm wondering if maybe there is something out there that works on chickens, a particular smell that they detest or are afraid of, that maybe we just haven't tried?

You might consider making a bed for them, mulched with hardwood mulch. Toss some treats into it from time to time to encourage them to scratch and feed. Chickens like to scratch. Hardwood mulch will soon encourage the presence of critters for them to eat.

Chickens tend to go where they want to go. Mine come into my shop over and over all day long. I run them out each time. Back they come.

Fences are the only thing that I know that works.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom