Chicken Respiratory Disease

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a one year old EE that we noticed making an odd squawking sound this morning. When I picked her up, I noticed she had raspy lung sounds and a clear discharge from her nose. She also seems skinny. Upon researching symptoms, I think she has CRD.
Have any of you lovely chicken keepers encountered this problem? She is in quarantine, and I have oxyterracycline injectable to treat her.
My question is about doing the antibiotic, how much, how often, how long.
And how worried should I be about the rest of my flock? I don’t want to cull her but I don’t want my 19 other chickens getting sick either. We have a coop of ladies we are very attached to! We’ve had them 6 years. Thanks so much! Your knowledge and advice is so appreciated!

Have you talked to a vet about these symptoms? I have not had this issue myself, but I know that isolating her is a good start. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

I am a veterinary technician so I felt confident giving her an oxytetracycline injection along with oral Nutridrench. I also added electrolytes to everyone's water. Within a few hours, she was like a new chicken! I was amazed by how quickly she perked up! A few other hens began showing symptoms and I used the same regimen. I'm happy to report everyone is back to normal!

I have a hunch that they picked up something from the wild turkeys that we have around. A neighbor feeds them, so the last couple of years there has been a population surge, not good.

Back
Top Bottom