1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken run dirt/concrete

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angelz_love, May 15, 2007.

1. angelz_love

angelz_love Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    I just ordered my chicken coop..yey! However, i am trying to figure out where to put it. I have the space but cant figure out where to put it. Is it a big no no to have concrete as part of the run? I mean I have enough lawn but on the other side of the backyard i have more concrete than dirt...i can alwaays jack hammer through it though, but before i do that...what do you guys think about it???

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    If they haven't been raised on concrete they can develop lesions on their feet. Concrete is hard on feet.

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    It seems unnatural for chickens to have a concrete area. That's just me though.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I wouldn't put them on concrete. It gets hot...and its just not natural. They need a place to scratch. Give em dirt, sand,grass. You and they will be a lot happier.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Concrete on it's own would be hard on the chickens' feet. I think you could just put a layer of something over the concrete, though. People put litter over concrete floors in coops and it works fine. People put sand or other things as a layer over dirt floored runs, so it's not a muddy mess. I think it would work fine to put the same type of materials over a concrete floored run. You'd probably just want to have something solid, like a board, along the bottom edge of your fencing, to help contain it.

6. angelz_love

angelz_love Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    I thought concrete seemed unatural too...how much sand do you suppose i should put over it? I mean how deep of a layer?[​IMG]

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've always let my chickens free range, so their run stayed grassy, since they were hardly ever in it. I'm guessing several inches, but have no experience with using sand. I just know it's popular. You could always use the search function, looking for sand and run. I know it's been discussed here quite a bit.

8. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi i am building a coop..an that is to be over patio slabs..i plan to build a raised house, and under neath put a large sand pit sealed from the weather ..and the rest of the floor is going to be covered in bark chippings..so i can wash it down with a hose pipe ..{i hope}..im sure if you do your best in trying to keep them happy an well.and let them out when you can...they will be fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by