Chicken run ideas?

selenag

Chirping
Jan 30, 2018
Florida
Hey guys, I have a small backyard and I’ve been letting my chickens free range for a while but now they go to my neighbors house which is a no no because my neighbors have a very well groomed house and I don’t want them destroying their front yard but I can’t keep my chickens stuck in their coop all day, every day because I feel bad every time I visit their coop, they get excited thinking I’m going to let them out. I’d love it if you guys could give me some ideas on letting them out for a bit of sunshine everyday besides a chicken run.

Hey guys, I have a small backyard and I’ve been letting my chickens free range for a while but now they go to my neighbors house which is a no no because my neighbors have a very well groomed house and I don’t want them destroying their front yard but I can’t keep my chickens stuck in their coop all day, every day because I feel bad every time I visit their coop, they get excited thinking I’m going to let them out. I’d love it if you guys could give me some ideas on letting them out for a bit of sunshine everyday besides a chicken run.

well, a chicken run is the best option for them - keeps them safe and gives them room to explore the area you have given to them. Next best is a fence around your yard, and clip the wings of your chickens so they cannot fly over.

What is your aversion to using a run? You can make it as large as you want (or as large as you have land).

well, a chicken run is the best option for them - keeps them safe and gives them room to explore the area you have given to them. Next best is a fence around your yard, and clip the wings of your chickens so they cannot fly over.

What is your aversion to using a run? You can make it as large as you want (or as large as you have land).

I don’t like them because chicken runs are in one spot only but I do understand that it is a safe option to consider. Thank you for the tips :)

I don’t like them because chicken runs are in one spot only but I do understand that it is a safe option to consider. Thank you for the tips :)

Thats fine. With a small backyard, you will contain the mess with a stationary place for your birds. We throw in fresh grass and fresh clover for them. We also sometimes dump the mowed grass in there. Then, when you are outside relaxing, gardening, grilling, or whatever, you can let them free range your yard if you desire.

I’d love it if you guys could give me some ideas on letting them out for a bit of sunshine everyday besides a chicken run.

Is there a fence between you and the neighbor? If so, how high? Maybe clipping their wings will work. If there is no fence, you have no options other than to contain them physically with a run. Or build a fence.

I was totally following along until you said "besides a chicken run". It is like you are asking how to contain your chickens without containing your chickens. No offense!

Last edited:
There's lots of idea on the coop pages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/chicken-coops.12/

....and post pics of your coop, tell us how many birds you have, and what kind of building skills you have.

Thats fine. With a small backyard, you will contain the mess with a stationary place for your birds. We throw in fresh grass and fresh clover for them. We also sometimes dump the mowed grass in there. Then, when you are outside relaxing, gardening, grilling, or whatever, you can let them free range your yard if you desire.

This is the best option. Keep them in a run with plenty of space and with enrichment, and let them out, with supervision, when you can make sure they don't go into the neighbor's yard. It's also way safer- a good run keeps predators out.

Back
Top Bottom