Chicken run in winter?

Quote:
No.

36435_snowchickens.jpg

36435_snowstorm.jpg

We just finished our run. We put a corrugated steel roof and side paneling for the summer sun/rain and snow. We covered the rest with plastic. It's very easy to repair if our plastic tears. It's pretty thick plastic though. Here's the finished project. I like having extra space in the winter. It snows too deep to let them out during the winter.

59bda822.jpg

The coop is on the west side of the house, which is why we used steel roofing as the side panel. It should give them shade from the sun. Therefore, we needed less plastic.

Last edited:
From your pics I will tell you this....even a small to medium sized dog could go through your fence like tissue paper, let alone a coon. Winterizing the run is the least of your worries right now. You need stronger and taller fencing solutions and more shelter for your birds. Some T-posts, cattle panels, hardware or chicken wire overlay and some more shelter are your needs right now....do you have someone who can haul them for you and help you put up a pen that may just discourage a determined terrier?

Quote:
Their run is inside a tall fenced in yard, so we don't worry about dogs.... and yes the coons can get in, but they aren't out at night and we are here most of the day. Any freerange chicken could get taken by a coon, as ours can. We are searching for a new setup as well.

Quote:
Raccoons are nocturnal so they do most of their hunting at night.

Oh you misunderstood me, I meant the chickens aren't in the pen at night. The coop is very secure at night.

Insulating the coops over the next few days but there's no covered run as they free range. There are plenty of trees and bushes and a woodshed as well as their coops for rough weather.

Quote:
Raccoons are nocturnal so they do most of their hunting at night.

Oh you misunderstood me, I meant the chickens aren't in the pen at night. The coop is very secure at night.

Ah, this makes much more sense!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom