Chicken run

Suzichick

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Hi everyone. I just joined. I have had just a handful of chickens for a while. I just sent my husband to get some bags of sand for one of the rooms for the chicken coop. Bags are easier because it is real rainy here in Oregon. But, I'm afraid it could be dangerous to them. The brand on the bags is Sakrete, Multi-purpose sand. It says it can be used in pet areas. But, it also comes with a warning about breathing it in and having silica which is known to cause cancer. I don't want these hens getting poisoned, and I don't want their eggs to harm us. My husband says there is no chance that Sakret would sell something for animal use (including cat litter boxes) if it could give the chickens cancer. But, I told him the uses listed were for animals that don't eat the dirt like our chickens do! I'm afraid they will eat this silica and get sick. But, my husband said sand IS silica. I did a google search and didn't find anything.

Can you tell me if this sand (that is also used for concrete) okay for my chickens? Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide

This
should make you feel better. Many here actually feed their chickens diatomacious earth. Everyone's gotta cover their butt these days....
But I'm not sure putting sand INSIDE a coop is a great idea, is this what you are doing?

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
The entire floor of my run is sand. I called my local stone company and had them deliver 3 yards of it. And many people here on the forum use sand in the run and in areas for them to dust bath.

I mix sand, dirt and fire ash for my dust bathing area and they love it.

welcome-byc.gif

You should have no trouble with any sand in your run. The coarse sand from crushed limestone (the kind used in concrete) is best for a run IMO. Breathing sand dust can cause silicosis, but the exposure has to be repetitive. My cousin and grandpa got it working at Libby Owens Ford glass co.
smile.png

Last edited:
"]This should make you feel better. Many here actually feed their chickens diatomacious earth. Everyone's gotta cover their butt these days....
But I'm not sure putting sand INSIDE a coop is a great idea, is this what you are doing?" Cookchick said.

]
Yes, many chicken people have suggested that sand is a great way to keep their runs clean. You see, my chickens have three rooms: one indoor coop that has a warm light for them and cedar shavings; a second outdoor but covered room that has dirt (that I want to cover in sand); and the third is an outdoor run that I just laid down bark after they destroyed their beautiful grass.

I just don't want to poison these chickens with a sand that has chemicals. This Sakrete is supposed to be good for cat litter and animal pens. But, didn't say anything special about chicken runs. It did have an advisor about the State of California saying silica causes cancer.
sad.png
I didn't want to give my chickens cancer, nor infect the eggs. But, I think silica is sand. So it shouldn't be dangerous. I hope.

Quote:
The state of California believes everything, including air, causes cancer. Of course, theirs probably does
tongue.png
(I'm an ex-SoCal kid, so I get to poke fun) Your sand will work great. Easy to clean and safe for your birds.

Quote:
The state of California believes everything, including air, causes cancer. Of course, theirs probably does
tongue.png
(I'm an ex-SoCal kid, so I get to poke fun) Your sand will work great. Easy to clean and safe for your birds.

I was reading through this thread and was just getting ready to ask if there was a statement of saying that "This product is known to cause cancer in the state of California". You are so right EVERYTHING in California is known to cause cancer.

I am a physician, but no expert in pulmonary silicosis. But as far as I know patients who have silicosis usually exposed to significant amount of dust containing silica over a period of time. At least in human, it takes may be 10 or more years to develop symptoms. Dont know how it applies to chickens, but I seriously doubt they will be in significant danger. Let the chickens have fun imo. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom