chicken safe plants/trees in run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jasonbennett1, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jasonbennett1

jasonbennett1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I posted this in the coop and run forum but got no help there, we'll see what happens here.

I want to plant a few trees in and around my run. I have poor soil so I wanted to use local trees/plants that I know will do well. I have hundreds of bay trees around and want to know if they are safe for chickens to have access to. Will they eat bay leaves? If so, is that bad?
    Thanks

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i think the only think they would completly kill would be a pine

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
  4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I go along with chickens know. There is a small magnolia tree in their run here and they ate everything in the run except that magnolia tree that is untouched with no leaves even pecked at.

5. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree they seem to "know" what they can eat and not eat. Some fokes go nuts with the it will make them sick routine.

Pines---yeah they didn't eat them they decided they were the perfect place to dig huge holes and lay in the dirt. No more pines they all died. [​IMG]

6. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] My dumbo birds eat the pines all the time. There still alive

7. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

i think i did read that azaleas were toxic anyone else?

8. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

azaleas, rodos and mountain laural are all in the same family and are very toxic to animals if eaten. If it can kill a goat I would not trust it with a chicken even if they do seem to know what not to eat. Those flowers in the spring are pretty darn tempting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by