Chicken scalped herself Please Help!

Georgeschicks

Songster
Jul 5, 2017
baltimore maryland
My five week old Plymouth Rock Chick escaped out of her coop. When I went into the yard she was running around pecking and I noticed a huge red scab-like thing on the back of her head. I am a first-time chicken owner and I have never gone through anything like this before. I have no idea what to do. I sprayed some Poultry Aid stuff on it (picture below) I have no idea how long she was running around the yard for, but it is not fenced in. I cannot see bone or muscle, but there is ALOT of blood, and I am so scared that I am going to hurt her. How should I be cleaning her wound, what should I be putting on it? Please help!
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-09-16 at 9.43.14 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 4
Chickens are surprisingly resilient. I would rinse it about twice a day with saline (I buy the pure saline nasal spray because it makes a nice jet for rinsing). Give her a little boiled egg and vitamins each day for extra protein to help with healing.

She'll be fine. You will nurse her, and she will heal. It will take a number of weeks for the new skin to grow in from the edges toward the center, and you will need to clean the wound each day and keep it moist with an antiseptic ointment so it won't get infected.

Here's an article I wrote after I had a scalped chick just like yours. It will tell you what to expect as the wound heals and how to treat it. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/healing-a-severely-injured-baby-chick

Geobett is now six years old, and she's still addicted to peanut butter. She also knows her name, and when I call her, she comes to get her peanut butter dab.

You'll find you will have a close bond with your chick because of the daily care that will be required. I found it was a good idea to reward the patient with a treat after each session so she would have a positive association with being treated.

You don't need to try to get the Silvadene for the wound care, although if you can, it's terrific stuff. It will require a prescription, though. You could use coconut oil instead. It has antiseptic properties and will keep the wound moist. If you live in a state where cannabis is legal, cannabis salve would heal the wound while treating any pain the chick is experiencing.

My five week old Plymouth Rock Chick escaped out of her coop. When I went into the yard she was running around pecking and I noticed a huge red scab-like thing on the back of her head. I am a first-time chicken owner and I have never gone through anything like this before. I have no idea what to do. I sprayed some Poultry Aid stuff on it (picture below) I have no idea how long she was running around the yard for, but it is not fenced in. I cannot see bone or muscle, but there is ALOT of blood, and I am so scared that I am going to hurt her. How should I be cleaning her wound, what should I be putting on it? Please help!View attachment 1138033View attachment 1138034View attachment 1138035
How is your baby doing?

Back
Top Bottom