Scalped chicken with hard white scab

cjstcsmith

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2019
We have a young pullet get under the fence and into the turkey run...she got destroyed. Her head was so scalped it was flapped over her face. I cleaned it with vectrin and pulled it back in place. I then sprayed it with HEALXCEL. This morning it had a hard white casting on it. Like a scab. Anyone see this before.

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 14
Can you post some clear well lit photos of the scab and of her so we can see the extent of the injury?

I'm not sure about the hard white scabbing, that's nothing I've ever seen before.
Could be the product you used.

Are there maggots/fly eggs - could that be what the white casing is?

Clean the wound very well with saline or hibiclens (saline is better if it's near the eyes).
The flap may reattach or not, hard to know, sometimes infection can get under a flap that has been placed back. Apply an ointment to the wound like Triple antibiotic ointment.

Keep her in an area where flies can't get on the wound.

Can you post some clear well lit photos of the scab and of her so we can see the extent of the injury?

I'm not sure about the hard white scabbing, that's nothing I've ever seen before.
Could be the product you used.

Are there maggots/fly eggs - could that be what the white casing is?

Clean the wound very well with saline or hibiclens (saline is better if it's near the eyes).
The flap may reattach or not, hard to know, sometimes infection can get under a flap that has been placed back. Apply an ointment to the wound like Triple antibiotic ointment.

Keep her in an area where flies can't get on the wound.
Yes I will take some. I irrigated it well with Vectrin before I pulled the flap back over. I was wondering if it might be the product because her feathers down on her neck look like they have a build up like that but not hard. My first thought was maggots but I took her out of the carrier and examined it and it was hard like a calcium deposit.

Update that was a hard casing of some sort of egg. They were micro sized larvae this morning. Not like fly strike I have ever seen. We put her down.

Update that was a hard casing of some sort of egg. They were micro sized larvae this morning. Not like fly strike I have ever seen. We put her down.
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

I thought that may have been some type of egg or larvae, in warm weather they can emerge very quickly and cause infection.

Back
Top Bottom