Chicken separation issues

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Howdy
Here’s the situation: I have two 4 month old chickens, and two 1 month old chickens. I’ve just put my 1 month olds in the coop in a fenced off area so the big birds can get used to them. In a few days, I hope to release the chicks out of the fenced off area so they are free to run around. This is also when I hope to get rid of one of my 4 month old birds. The problem is the other bird; she gets really upset when I hold the one I hope to give away, so I’m worried she’ll throw a fit when her brother isn’t there. Is there a way I can smoothly get her acquainted with the little chicks so she doesn’t feel “lonely” after I get rid of the other 4 month old? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I do not want loud chickens

I would try integrating them prior to getting rid of the cockerel. There may be issues because of the size/age difference, but I would still give it a try starting with monitored free ranging.

Do it all at once. Just pull out the cockerel in the night, put the young ones in the coop the same night. Get down there early in the morning, just to keep an eye out. I don't think it will be noisy at all.

as I do not want loud chickens
Um...all chickens can be loud.
Is that the only reason you are getting rid of the male?

Do it all at once. Just pull out the cockerel in the night, put the young ones in the coop the same night. Get down there early in the morning, just to keep an eye out. I don't think it will be noisy at all.
That might work....but......if not....

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might these tips about......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Well AART she has had them in a see no touch, so I think it will work.
Not for long.
I’ve just put my 1 month olds in the coop in a fenced off area so the big birds can get used to them. In a few days, I hope to release the chicks out of the fenced off area so they are free to run around.

Back
Top Bottom