Chicken skin is ripped by dog bite

Jo Anne

Songster
Feb 1, 2013
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
i posted this earlier, here is the back story my lab nipped at the chips butt while in my hands and got it in his mouth the skin on her thigh area is split open.
I have been washing it with saline, than proxide, and vet anti bacterial spray.
Here is an up dated pic. Skin isn't turning black.
I want to know should I glue the skin back to her flesh? She is eating and drinking ok, and is separated. This would be day5 after this picture I clipped any feathers stuck to meat.

You should probably leave it as is and spray a Poultry Protector (tea tree oil is the main ingredient) on the would. I've not heard of anyone using glue on chicken skin, not sure if it would do the trick or not...

The issue with gluing a wound closed is infection. If there is any bacteria present it will be sealed in the wound. I would not use the peroxide any more as it can inhibit healing. I would use veterycin wound and skin care spray or plain neosporin ointment. Given time and no infection, some pretty major wounds will heal up fine. Hard to tell in the picture, but it appears to be healing ok with no signs of infection at this point, so I'd do as above, and just watch for infection. Here is an article that might help with info on healing: http://richie-cunningham.com/2012/04/11/chicken-wound-healing-process/

The issue with gluing a wound closed is infection. If there is any bacteria present it will be sealed in the wound. I would not use the peroxide any more as it can inhibit healing. I would use veterycin wound and skin care spray or plain neosporin ointment. Given time and no infection, some pretty major wounds will heal up fine. Hard to tell in the picture, but it appears to be healing ok with no signs of infection at this point, so I'd do as above, and just watch for infection. Here is an article that might help with info on healing: http://richie-cunningham.com/2012/04/11/chicken-wound-healing-process/

X2 on all counts

Update 2 1/2 weeks in isolation it appears the skin/flesh/meat/thigh aers that is exposed is dried out. Her original skin with feathers is still hanging in the breeze, but she doesn't seem to mind. I put her back in with the others today. She quickly established her pecking order, and gorged on grass as she free ranged with the others.
I've been watching to see if she is picked on by others, not a problem since she established her pecking order. Will still keep an eye on her.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    417.8 KB · Views: 39

Back
Top Bottom