Chicken sleeping in day and can’t walk

FEFE24

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hey.
I have a small Rhode Island Red hen. She’s three years old and molted a little over a month ago. I think she hurt her leg jumping onto a perch and can’t balance completely. She and my two other hens have also stopped laying eggs. This hen is showing the “no more eggs” sign witha darkened beak and more yellow feet. She is also very skinny and you can feel her bones when you pick her up. image.jpg
Just today she started laying around and sleeping throughout the day.

somethings wrong and I’m scared. Please help. Thank you 😊

Attachments

• A24F35F0-60B2-4F31-AB27-B0452C84BE6B.jpeg
    A24F35F0-60B2-4F31-AB27-B0452C84BE6B.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 3
Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? There could be several possibilities on what is wrong. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she able to move her legs if you stand her up? What does her crop feel like? Is it empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Can you see any signs of lice or mites on her? Reproductive disorders and infections can sometimes make them feel weak or sick, and can make walking difficult. What do her poops look like? She might be weak from a lack of food or dehydration from either an injury or illness. I would look her over, and try to get her drinking some water with a little sugar or electrolytes. Wet chicken feed mush and scrambled egg would be good for her.

Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? There could be several possibilities on what is wrong. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she able to move her legs if you stand her up? What does her crop feel like? Is it empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Can you see any signs of lice or mites on her? Reproductive disorders and infections can sometimes make them feel weak or sick, and can make walking difficult. What do her poops look like? She might be weak from a lack of food or dehydration from either an injury or illness. I would look her over, and try to get her drinking some water with a little sugar or electrolytes. Wet chicken feed mush and scrambled egg would be good for her.
Thank you for responding.
so I have not added new hens to my flock. About vaccinating I personally have not done them, though the farm/stock shop I got them from may have. I just felt her crop. It was empty.. but it is also morning here. I usually wet their food, she’s used to be at the top of the pecking order until she molted. When I just checked on her, her skin under the feathers seemed to have a yellowish tint. Though I didn’t see any lice. I will start giving her electrolytes and some scrambled eggs. Not sure what else to do.
Thank you again.

Attachments

• E48A0092-297B-4280-A564-EBDA9AF2982D.jpeg
    E48A0092-297B-4280-A564-EBDA9AF2982D.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom