Chicken sneezing, nose crusty, help!

Ugh, knew it. We got the greek stuff since that's all the store had. I like plain yogurt too, but I don't eat much of it. Was a good excuss to gt it since the birds could help finish it off, lol. But it seems they are not so keen on greek...

I have 15 japs I will treat just in case and then the 4 silkies. So half for the 4 and full for the 15?
Does FHC sell it? If it does, I will run off and get it asap, lol.

No expert here at all but jsut read another post about this sort of thing and a very fascinating article on Oxine - people seem to use it as preventative and a cure before taking the anti biotics route. I have definitely "stored " this info in case oe emergency in the future - knock on wood= my head that i wont need it!

Called them, guy said wormer and crumbles...but not what I was talking about....daydreaming at work...ugh.

I guess I will drive over there...need gas anyhow...

I'll check that out later, thanks.

OXINE

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Here’s how I use Oxine in my operation (this is simply an example program – you should adapt this to your particular situation since every coop and hatchery is different). I raise both chickens and waterfowl (ducks). I use 1/8 tsp/gallon of water for my ducks’ bath water to keep the bacteria level down and to help prevent bacterial enteritis, since E-Gads, we all know what ducks do in their water besides drink from it. They get a separate small dish (that they won’t fit into) at night before bed with drinking water that I can fortify with vitamins, minerals, and probiotics if I choose – but not with Oxine in it which could kill the beneficial bacteria in the probiotic supplement.

I use 1/8 tsp/gallon of water in my chickens’ drinking water every other day to keep down the biofilm (slime) that forms on the inside of the waterers. It also keeps the bacteria level down for when that amazingly accurate missile of a dropping somehow makes it into the drinking water trough every day. (On the opposite days I like to include a combination vitamin, mineral, and probiotic supplement in their water instead.)

Since I run a biosecurity program in my showbird coop, I use Oxine to fog the entire inside of the coop (including the birds themselves) once a week. It keeps the dust down and knocks all of the viruses, bacteria, and mold spores out of the air. It also keeps the air fresh smelling in there. Oxine also has a residual disinfecting quality so I try to moisten surfaces such as roosts with the fog as I go. I see no need to remove feed or drinkers form the coop when I fog so the procedure is quite simple.

Other possible uses for the product are an egg dip prior to incubation (always using water warmer than the egg and at the rate of 4 oz/gallon of water). In this case, you would simply dip the egg in the solution and lay it on a clean paper towel to air dry – do not rub since that would breach the egg’s cuticle, something which is important to hatching success. You can also use it at the rate of 7 drops/gallon of water in your water reservoir in your incubator, and/or in a humidifier that may be running in a room where you store eggs prior to incubation.

Oxine has so many approvals for use in the (human) food industry that they’re too numerous to mention here, but it’s worth noting since it reinforces Oxine’s overall relative safety.

Thanks everyone for the very fast replys. I wish they were all this quick!!
I am now posting a new thread for Pictures of my new Silkies! They will all get better, dang-it and live to be old and gray, er, if chickens turn gray with age...lol.

Thanks again, please do comment on the pics when you find the thread and have time!

Back
Top Bottom