chicken song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cordelegagirl, Nov 4, 2015.

1. cordelegagirl

cordelegagirl New Egg

Nov 2, 2015
    Can someone please tell me what is the chicken song I read when they get ready to start to lay they sing a lil tune

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Cordelega!

The "egg song" is a special series of clucking that some hens do before or after they lay an egg. At my house, one "sings" really loud and the other hens join in so even in the house I can tell when an egg was just laid. buk-buk-buk- baGAWK-buk-buk-buk-baGAWK (LOL)

Not all the hens do it though, and not all have a "chorus" joining them. I think it's funny, and even my rooster joins in sometimes!

Sounds like this:

3. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

This is my cockerel Oreo singing to Ghost my Leghorn.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  4. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have several that sing the egg song, not all do though. The ones that don't did originally a little (2 are pretty quiet about it now).

5. galvinj

galvinj Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Thank you for posting that! Now I know what all the commotion was in the coop last weekend. The four of them obviously had a choir going now that I saw your video. I thought something was wrong and went running out there. Lol what a newbie

6. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: Hey, if you hear a distress in it though it could be that something's wrong, so don't discount it or feel silly. My rooster does a weird buckaw song when there's a problem. I ran out on the back deck after hearing it to find the neighbor's ****** cat trying to gain access to my babies! Not saying it to freak you out, just saying, you'll learn the differences, some are subtle and some not so much!

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment

X2, good advice!

8. galvinj

galvinj Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by