Chicken Sperm Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm supposing it's because the hen has a similar body heat and the sperm is "saved" in an environment similar to the one is just left. Kind of like how armadillos can stave off their pregnancies for 2 years!
big_smile.png
(Animal Planet..could be completely off though!)

Power Poultry, who raises, and shows for the Prince of Wales has already looked into this. It is very possible. They have many different varieties of Orps that aren't accepted here. Karen says they hatch out 2,000 eggs a year. Her birds are some of the very best examples of Orpingtons on the planet. You can find her post on the "UK ENGLISH ORPINGTON" thread. IF you want to do it, always get the very best. I like her Buffs and Blacks. But the other varieties are very high quality too. Go to that thread. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5591067#p5591067

Last edited:
I think it depends on where you get your eggs and how they are shipped.I have good and bad luck.The cost for chickens seman wouldn't be cost effective.

Usually when someone AI's the hen is in a pen that is just steps away they deposit the sperm and PRESTO! Its not like cattle where you can ship semen and even eggs. chickens are maybe lacking in that department BUT we are able to ship live adults and chicks more readily and ship hatching eggs. I think that is why some have never asked this particular question because their are so many different options to aquire poultry unlike larger mammals.

TK maybe you need to tell Karen Power's vet. He is the vet for the Prince of Wales Buff Orpingtons. MAYBE the Prince should check in here and get the truth?
Here is what she said:
"Just a quike update on the AI
Will have a guide price by Friday it has to be frozen and you will need somone the other end who knows how to do AI

So good news it can be shipped out to you to make it cost affective we also keep David's line of Buffs and silly colours Silverlaced, goldlaced, Lemon cuckoo these boys in the breeding pen got 1st and second at the national 2010. Choclate bantam but he is split so will only get choc females"

What's that mean. We have all established that the majority of people agree that we here in the US don't ship chicken sperm. I was reitterating a point that in the US we don't do it. We have also established that the sperm dies very easily. even if shipping was available it wouldn't be very reliable

Quote:
I am just quoting a vet in the UK who seems to differ. Plus, I know an APA judge who AI's birds up in Canada when it is minus -20 and he also disagrees about sperm viability of being used when frozen. His birds still are fertilized.

Last edited:
here is a paper that says

Unfortunately, cryopreservation of swine semen has not been as great a success. Still, recent research has succeeded in defining new parameters for freezing and thawing swine semen and commercial breeders are expected to apply this new information. The technology for freezing poultry semen has not been adequately developed. This will be a key area for future research.

this means it is unreliable because it is not panning out in a research setting. How is Joe Blow going to do this in his backyard?​

Quote:
this means it is unreliable because it is not panning out in a research setting. How is Joe Blow going to do this in his backyard?

I am by no means an expert. I go by what others say. My friend Paul has read the same thoughts that semen die in cold. Yet he has results that again go against all the experts. I would think Karen Power's vet is much more knowledgeable then me. And she is taking orders to ship from the UK. I would think, being the caretaker for the Prince of Wales, she would not be into ruining her reputation on selling something that will not work. However, I know Paul, and he is no ones fool. He is so well respected, he is going to judge a 3,000 bird show in South Africa. IF he can do it in minus -20, and get results, and all these experts say it can not be done. I go with Paul's word.
Now who is the one your quoting "JOE BLOW?"

Last edited:
Quote:
I am just quoting a vet in the UK who seems to differ. Plus, I know an APA judge who AI's birds up in Canada when it is minus -20 and he also disagrees about sperm viability of being used when frozen. His birds still are fertilized.

loldinkem, here's a point i want to make living in Canada. Things don't freeze that fast. If i wanted (and i do not) i could get the sperm from the rooster place it down and go water (or what ever) and come back withing 15 or so min and i bet it would not be frozen. It would have killed so yes but, there are 100 000's of sperm released.

So my conclusion (with out having done any research {have read a bit on it} my self) i am going to say it is iffy at best.

But again, i have not done any research on this my self, so can't say any diffident answerer. (some times coming from a sciency house hold complactes things
hmm.png
)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom