Chicken Sperm Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the Merck Vet manual: Chicken and turkey semen may be frozen, but reduced fertility limits usage to special breeding projects. Under experimental conditions, fertility levels of 90% have been obtained in hens inseminated at 3-day intervals with 400-500 million frozen-thawed chicken spermatozoa.

I was thinking special breeding projects, since there isn't much of a reason to do this for utility birds. It looks like it is possible, but cost is the biggest deterrent. It obviously makes much more sense to ship sperm from a champion steer than it does from a rooster.

Joe Blow being the average Joe trying to do this in the a backyard setting and doing this domestically. I don't doubt that any of these people are doing this BUT i just don't think that this makes much sense when you could just buy hatching eggs and that professionals are not doing great with this in a lab setting. Whats good for the Prince of Wales isn't always a valid option for us "commoners"

Quote:
That is not the premise of this thread.
Please let me remind you of what was stated:
Cost aside, would it be feasible to make rooster semen available to other breeders across the country?

So, after you read this, and bother to read what Karen Powers wrote, only a "JOE BLOW" would continue to debate on a totally different train of thought.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Exactly coupled with the experimental nature it is unlikely to catch on unless we can lower costs and make it reliable in an at home basis. It makes more sense to do it with larger animals because you will be able to get A.) more money out of the offspring and B.) it is done on a commercial basis and you will be able to afford it.

PS you get sperm from bulls not steers (they are castrated)

Quote:
That is not the premise of this post.
Cost aside, would it be feasible to make rooster semen available to other breeders across the country?

So, after you read this, and bother to read what Karen Powers wrote, only a "JOE BLOW" would continue to debate on a totally different train of thought.​

I'm only debating cost as a side product. Its experimental so apparently we could not ship it across the country and have any results that you have testified to since they were all done in a controlled setting done by professionals. AND we don't freeze semen in this country you gave the OP examples of cases in the UK and Canada not the US. So therefore my arguement is valid and makes perfect sense. If you have any statements from studies in the US contridicting mine then I will gladely read them. I'm not debating this anymore because you'll find pitfalls in my arguement no matter what I say. I don't quote royal figure's poultry keepers that live a half a world away I try to find at home sources.

Quote:
That is not the premise of this post.

I'm only debating cost as a side product. Its experimental so apparently we could not ship it across the country and have any results that you have testified to since they were all done in a controlled setting done by professionals. AND we don't freeze semen in this country you gave the OP examples of cases in the UK and Canada not the US. So therefore my arguement is valid and makes perfect sense. If you have any statements from studies in the US contridicting mine then I will gladely read them. I'm not debating this anymore because you'll find pitfalls in my arguement no matter what I say. I don't quote royal figure's poultry keepers that live a half a world away I try to find at home sources.

So it IS FEASEABLE, as Baybrio stated. And as Karen Power's Vet stated the FEASABILITY of Chicken semen being shipped to the USA from the UK. Experimental will have nothing to do with the FEASABILITY. Only pitfalls is you not wanting to admit it is "FEASEABLE".
What laws say we can not ship frozen chicken sperm, across the ocean or the country? Will the frozen semen magically thaw once it enters our country cause you don't like the idea?
If all this bothers you then you should start another thread.

Last edited:
What quarantine test & restrictions would apply, because I can't imagine there would not be any?
David

then, is there a way we can freeze say, a dozen of fertilized eggs..? like, if i lose my original roo or a couple of generations down, i want to reintroduce F1 chickens to clean up the F7 birds or something...? can we do that...? that would be the BEST! evAr! if they did this... ship some eggs over on blocks of dry ice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom