Chicken Sperm Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I would guess to store semen would be very expensive. Now if we read classicsredone's question, cost is not a factor. Like I mentioned, Power Poultry would have a much higher need and budget then our "Joe Blow" friend who misinterpreted the premise. Everything I learned in debate is to identify all "clarifiers" first like the word "feaseable". Which I interpret as possible. IF it is possible to ship sperm from UK to USA I would guess it is feaseable to store sperm indefinitely, like a sperm bank in liquid Nitrogen. But you would need to have a large amount of cash to do it. So, the question of it being cost effective is another question for another thread. But I see it is feaseable to do it IF I had one of the world's best cocks/cockerels and I was a billionaire. IF you have the money someone will store it. Merck Vet manual says 90% fertility was achieved, and where it was achieved would have to be in strict conditions to be successful.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would guess to store semen would be very expensive. Now if we read classicsredone's question, cost is not a factor. Like I mentioned, Power Poultry would have a much higher need and budget then our "Joe Blow" friend who misinterpreted the premise. Everything I learned in debate is to identify all "clarifiers" first like the word "feaseable". Which I interpret as possible. IF it is possible to ship sperm from UK to USA I would guess it is feaseable to store sperm indefinitely, like a sperm bank in liquid Nitrogen. But you would need to have a large amount of cash to do it. So, the question of it being cost effective is another question for another thread. But I see it is feaseable to do it IF I had one of the world's best cocks/cockerels and I was a billionaire. IF you have the money someone will store it. Merck Vet manual says 90% fertility was achieved, and where it was achieved would have to be in strict conditions to be successful.

Most of us would consider cost effectiveness into "feasability". Most of us are not "billionaires" thus it is not "feasable" for us...it may be for those said billionaires, but not for the other 99% of the world's population.

Quote:

Most of us would consider cost effectiveness into "feasability". Most of us are not "billionaires" thus it is not "feasable" for us...it may be for those said billionaires, but not for the other 99% of the world's population.

Maybe you too have a tough time understanding how her question is phrased, HERE WE GO AGAIN!
Cost aside, would it be feasible to make rooster semen available to other breeders across the country?

The word "COST ASIDE" applies to you or us who aren't billionaires and those who are.
The fact you do not want to agree with how I replied is not my problem. The OP used that word. The word "feasable" is just the same as "possible". Maybe you like to change the initial phrasing of the question? Or join the other in a new thread?​

Last edited:
Again, you've got to consider. The motility after freezing the semen is greatly reduced. It could be so reduced that no semen ever reaches the follicle.

Quote:
I agree and tried to state that. Poultry sperm isn't like Equine or Bovine it behaves differently because of different adaptations. I just dont thing its POSSIBLE for us because we don't have the poultry researchers they do in the UK.

From the link I posted previously:

The greatest progress in commercializing semen preservation
has been achieved by the dairy and beef cattle
industries, where semen cryopreservation has been optimized,
standardized, and automated. Although this level
of success with bull semen has not been achieved with
other livestock species, such as pigs or sheep (Holt, 2000),
the fertility rates of cryopreserved poultry sperm are dramatically
lower than any of the domestic mammalian
species. It has been estimated that cryopreserved rooster
semen retains <2% of the fertilizing ability of fresh semen
(Wishart, 1985).

http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/85/2/232.pdf

It's not cost effective to freeze the sperm, breed the hen and find out a week or two later that none of the eggs are fertile. The poor little suckers don't have a chance....

How much easier it would be if poultry sperm were like bovine or equine...​

Quote:
All I have to do is make ONE proven case of point of this happening and thus it is "FEASEABLE"
And BAYBRIO made it
"This is from the Merck Vet manual: Chicken and turkey semen may be frozen, but reduced fertility limits usage to special breeding projects. Under experimental conditions, fertility levels of 90% have been obtained in hens inseminated at 3-day intervals with 400-500 million frozen-thawed chicken spermatozoa."

I know why TK has issues, and it is not that he refuses to read the initial question. But, you may have not read that post by BAYBRIO.

To be honest I LOVE this debate. I debated for 3 years under a former President Nixon speech writer back in my college days, David Burns. All I have to do is show ONE proven case, and it has to be from a credible resource, which BAYBRIO spoon fed us. So, again, IF you three do not like the FACT that MERCK can freeze sperm and fertilize chickens eggs, go and argue with them. Instead you three seem to be off subject on every post.

Last edited:
Quote:
http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/85/2/232.pdf

It's not cost effective to freeze the sperm, breed the hen and find out a week or two later that none of the eggs are fertile. The poor little suckers don't have a chance....

How much easier it would be if poultry sperm were like bovine or equine...

EXACTLY They can't even really freeze swine sperm yet little lone Poultry. We cannot talk about the cost of this venture. You'll have to join the "other" (that would be me) and Cloverleaf in a new thread that we were told to start. Thank you for affriming things I've already posted.

Quote:

Maybe you too have a tough time understanding how her question is phrased, HERE WE GO AGAIN!
Cost aside, would it be feasible to make rooster semen available to other breeders across the country?

The word "COST ASIDE" applies to you or us who aren't billionaires and those who are.
The fact you do not want to agree with how I replied is not my problem. The OP used that word. The word "feasable" is just the same as "possible". Maybe you like to change the initial phrasing of the question? Or join the other in a new thread?​

I don't understand the reson why anybody should be invited to leave this thread; but that aside, it [useing frozen, shipped semen] seems to be possible................................... as a feasable means of improving a variety or breed, its questionable. As for increasing and spreading the populations of some breeds and varieties it could be effective. The subsequent overuse, especially of frozen sperm, in A.I. breeding programs when its become economically feasable it has had serious negative impacts on both the breeds [through narrowing of the gene field and loss of natural breeding abilities in some instances]; and to the individual breed owners [through the loss of worth of privately owned lines as corporate owned, controlled, and hyped lines replace them in popularity].

Quote:
All I have to do is make ONE proven case of point of this happening and thus it is "FEASEABLE"
And BAYBRIO made it
"This is from the Merck Vet manual: Chicken and turkey semen may be frozen, but reduced fertility limits usage to special breeding projects. Under experimental conditions, fertility levels of 90% have been obtained in hens inseminated at 3-day intervals with 400-500 million frozen-thawed chicken spermatozoa."

I know why TK has issues, and it is not that he refuses to read the initial question. But, you may have not read that post by BAYBRIO.

To be honest I LOVE this debate. I debated for 3 years under a former President Nixon speech writer back in my college days, David Burns. All I have to do is show ONE proven case, and it has to be from a credible resource, which BAYBRIO spoon fed us. So, again, IF you three do not like the FACT that MERCK can freeze sperm and fertilize chickens eggs, go and argue with them. Instead you three seem to be off subject on every post.

I'm not stating it's not feasible. I'm simply stating that in order to do this, you would have to have vast amounts of sperm from a breeder who is willing to assist your fertilizing needs at the drop of a hat since, let's assume, that 1 out of every 200,000 sperm in the semen is able to successfully fertilize a follicle. It is feasible. Is it probable? THAT is the question.

How long was the semen frozen that they were able to achieve 90% fertility? Are you stating that my source is not credible? It is from a scientific study so I am uncertain as to how it is not as credible as Merck?

lilkinkem, you would debate a cow out of a coma...
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom