Chicken Squaking

galinhaprincess

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Hey all,
I have a weird question. My SLW started squaking EXTREMELY loud the other day at 6 am. When I went outside to see what was going on I could hear a rooster crowing about 1 mile away. Everytime he crowed she BAWKED (spelling?). What do you think I should do? I have 2 hens my SLW, and RIR. My RIR is the quietest chicken I have ever heard. My SLW is so loud. Help please.

Is she laying? Hens sing the egg song right after laying their eggs. Every hens song is different - I currently have 14 hens that are laying. I can tell each one's unique egg song and know who just came off the nest. It's a bawk, bawk, bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwk of some sort.

Here's an example (not my bird):

If she's not laying, then she could just be responding to the roo.

Last edited:
I usually know all her bawks. This one was different. It was kind of like some one is interfering with us! Like when something comes near the coop that she doesn't approve of. I have realized she has taken the alpha role in our mini flock.

I usually know all her bawks. This one was different. It was kind of like some one is interfering with us! Like when something comes near the coop that she doesn't approve of. I have realized she has taken the alpha role in our mini flock.
That's likely your answer right there.

Back
Top Bottom