Chicken still sick AFTER being egg bound

jfays

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2015
ct
Hello. My chicken was egg bound. I noticed her acting funny last night and then this morning she wasn’t walking and had the regular egg-bound symptoms. I soaked her in epsom salt bath and gave her extra calcium. I left her alone in a dark and quiet place and she laid an egg shortly after.

The egg was a completely normal sized egg. After, she will wasn’t standing or walking. She was still pursing her bum hole like she was trying to push something out. The whole time she has still been drinking and eating. I left her in a separate cage in the coop for the evening.

Why is she still acting sick? How long does recovery take? I felt inside her again after she laid the egg and didn’t feel another.

Hello. My chicken was egg bound. I noticed her acting funny last night and then this morning she wasn’t walking and had the regular egg-bound symptoms. I soaked her in epsom salt bath and gave her extra calcium. I left her alone in a dark and quiet place and she laid an egg shortly after.

The egg was a completely normal sized egg. After, she will wasn’t standing or walking. She was still pursing her bum hole like she was trying to push something out. The whole time she has still been drinking and eating. I left her in a separate cage in the coop for the evening.

Why is she still acting sick? How long does recovery take? I felt inside her again after she laid the egg and didn’t feel another.
How old is this hen?
The pulsating vent is normal. They do that a lot.
How long was she egg bound? Sometimes that can cause nerve damage in the legs.
Have you examined her abdomen under her vent to see if it's fluid filled or normal?
Is her crop function normal?

How old is this hen?
The pulsating vent is normal. They do that a lot.
How long was she egg bound? Sometimes that can cause nerve damage in the legs.
Have you examined her abdomen under her vent to see if it's fluid filled or normal?
Is her crop function normal?
Do you know if the nerve damage is permanent? I have a hen that is acting the exact same time way as the poster, and she is still limping even after laying the egg 2 days ago ☹️

Did you read the article? It lasts quite a while if that is the issue.
I didn’t realize there was an article attached! 🤦‍♀️ I just read it......great information. Luckily my gal wasn’t completely paralyzed so she can still stand and walk a little, just with a limp. It looks like a surgery was involved with the article’s hen- I hope mine can recover okay without having to do that. Thanks for the info!

I didn’t realize there was an article attached! 🤦‍♀️ I just read it......great information. Luckily my gal wasn’t completely paralyzed so she can still stand and walk a little, just with a limp. It looks like a surgery was involved with the article’s hen- I hope mine can recover okay without having to do that. Thanks for the info!
There was no surgery involved.

Back
Top Bottom