Chicken STINKS and is in PAIN.

I think she will need antibiotics for longer than a week, with that severity of an infection.
I didn't notice the spur at first, I bet if that got trimmed shorter, it may make it easier for her to walk.
I have had some birds tripping over their spurs, unfortunately, trimming is necessary.
Just try not to cut too short, as she already has sores.
I use a doggy nail clipper, and just cut small pieces away at a time.
I agree-at least 14 days of antibiotics, plus that foot needs a debridement by a vet. (it's soaked and the dead, hard skin and scabbing needs to be scraped off) she may have some gangrene under there which needs to be removed as well. She needs a topical antibiotic as well. Poor girl does look uncomfortable, but pretty healthy otherwise. The smell sounds like gangrene. The smell is unforgettable, and it will permeate the entire body from the affected part.

(I'm no chicken expert by a long shot, but that's what is done with situations like that in other farm animals, and humans as well)

I agree-at least 14 days of antibiotics, plus that foot needs a debridement by a vet. (it's soaked and the dead, hard skin and scabbing needs to be scraped off) she may have some gangrene under there which needs to be removed as well. She needs a topical antibiotic as well. Poor girl does look uncomfortable, but pretty healthy otherwise. The smell sounds like gangrene. The smell is unforgettable, and it will permeate the entire body from the affected part.

(I'm no chicken expert by a long shot, but that's what is done with situations like that in other farm animals, and humans as well)

Any idea how much it'll cost to bring her to a vet and have all the yucky stuff scraped of her leg?

Along with neosporin on the leg/foot... it sounds to me like the infection has become systemic. Get some PenG - (penicillin) - and give her a 7-day round injections. One per day, 1/2 cc, directly into the breast muscle alternating sides each day. She probably doesn't have a lot of "meat" so you just need to barely insert the needle into it, but be sure to get through the skin. Even if it doesn't totally penetrate the muscle, she'll get most of the benefit.

Give her a good bath, soak the foot really well getting off as much of the crusty stuff as possible before putting on the neosporin. NO MORE PEROXIDE. That damages what healthy tissue there is.

By me, the office visit is around $75.00, plus the price goes up for everything they do.
I would soak her (think pedicure) for a while in warm water, and then, use a scrubby to remove the dead skin.
An old toothbrush, nail brush, whatever you can get your hands on.
The legs have scales on them, like a reptile. If you can get your fingernail under them, they will pop right off, but be careful if they bleed.
It does look like alot of them need to be removed.
If you are familiar with scaly leg mites, they live under those scales.

And ditto on the peroxide, I think that she is is too far past the need for it.

Then, I would slather on the Neosporin. Maybe some vet wrap to keep the dirt out.
I have gotten that at TSC for like $3.

Good luck!

By me, the office visit is around $75.00, plus the price goes up for everything they do.
I would soak her (think pedicure) for a while in warm water, and then, use a scrubby to remove the dead skin.
An old toothbrush, nail brush, whatever you can get your hands on.
The legs have scales on them, like a reptile. If you can get your fingernail under them, they will pop right off, but be careful if they bleed.
It does look like alot of them need to be removed.
If you are familiar with scaly leg mites, they live under those scales.

And ditto on the peroxide, I think that she is is too far past the need for it.

Then, I would slather on the Neosporin. Maybe some vet wrap to keep the dirt out.
I have gotten that at TSC for like $3.

Good luck!

Our vets are more expensive compared to other parts of the country though. (good for everyone but us!)

As far as the scrubby, if you soak her for a good long while-(a good way is to soak paper towels in a soap and water solution (not antibacterial soap) and apply the paper towels to her legs until the scabs seem mushy. it may take about 10-20 minutes. The start with a soft scrub brush-like a soft toothbrush (a new one or one really clean) and get a tougher scrubber if it's hard to slough off.

Once you remove the dried skin and scabbiness you can then get a better look at what your dealing with. if the skin underneath is green, or black and oozy, you have gangrene present. You can scrub that until you reach pink skin, if it bleeds, you should wrap it, and wait until the bleeding stops. You do not want the gangrenous skin to get into a cut. It may be very difficult for you to do, since it's quite painful, once you get the dead parts off-she will struggle so you might want to enlist someone's help. Once you get to pink live flesh, apply neosporin (regular-not pain relief) and wrap it loosely in gauze and tape. It will be sore, but should start healing.

The key is to go as deep as you can. You may need to do this a few times. Podiatrists/Human MD's and vets use a scalpel to perform this procedure, but I think since chickens have no fleshy cushion to cut away, scrubbing is your best bet.

try calling a vet and see if you can get Penicillin without bringing her in, explain your situation, that your hen has an infection and that it's difficult to afford Vet treatment, and can only afford the medicine. Penicillin is traditionally very inexpensive, so that's a good thing.

Along with neosporin on the leg/foot... it sounds to me like the infection has become systemic. Get some PenG - (penicillin) - and give her a 7-day round injections. One per day, 1/2 cc, directly into the breast muscle alternating sides each day. She probably doesn't have a lot of "meat" so you just need to barely insert the needle into it, but be sure to get through the skin. Even if it doesn't totally penetrate the muscle, she'll get most of the benefit.

Give her a good bath, soak the foot really well getting off as much of the crusty stuff as possible before putting on the neosporin. NO MORE PEROXIDE. That damages what healthy tissue there is.
I agree-NO PEROXIDE.

My dear lady - it is time to put this chicken done - poor thing - think of the chicken's feelings and not your own - once the chicken is dead it doesn't suffer anymore or have to worry about anything - death has it's merits - there is a time to be born and a time to die - I think now is the time - sorry -

Poor Gloria! I have been enjoying her pics and stories. It breaks my heart to see her so sick. I am partial to barred rocks I guess, she looks so much like my Abbey... even down to the grumpy face and stink eye.

I cannot offer you medical advice as I have never dealt with foot or leg issues with my chickens, but had wanted to give you some emotional support. I know how stressful and sad it is to see a beloved animal suffering.

If finances are a concern, do the best you can with home care. The advice given by fellow BYC members sounds very logical and not that difficult to do. If these home treatments do not seem to be helping, then perhaps a vet visit may be in order, if only to ease your mind that you have tried everything you could have possibly done for Gloria.

I hope that it does not come to the point where Gloria needs to be put down, but if her treatments do not seem to be helping and her pain is affecting her quality of life, then perhaps it may be the kindest thing to do.

I truly hope that Gloria recovers. She has been through a lot, and I know that you have too in taking care of her. Please keep us updated on how she is doing. Sending prayers and hugs your way...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom