Chicken stomach and feet hot, possible pertonitis, diagnosed by vet with pneumonia, please help!

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2018
Hen is an 18 month old barred rock, resides with 7 other hens and one large (over 10 lb rooster) along with one hen and rooster in adjacent coop. All chickens came from offspring of original chicks purchased from a livestock store (similar to tractor supply) about 5 years ago (i.e. no new chickens introduced). Straw bedding in nest boxes (elevated enclosed area) with main run - dirt floor and straw, half of run has roof. No other chickens exhibiting any signs of illness.

Ok, so now that I got the background info out of the way...I noticed my hen "T" (short for Trouble) was in bad shape on Wednesday the 18th. She was huddled in a ball as if she was trying to protect eggs. I've seen her try to be broody before but she seems to get too distracted to sit on the eggs for the full 21 day process. I checked under her and did not see an egg. When I let the other chickens out of the coop to examine her, I realized she was having issues walking. I immediately brought her up to the house for an examination. My first thought was that the rooster some how injured her during his less than chivalrous courtship...she weighs 7.3 lbs and is less than him in weight. I checked for injuries and did not notice anything major other than she had difficulties walking and seemed to be panting. She also had a very large bowel movement (palm size) right after I brought her up to the house. I later have observed almost telltale signs of her being egg bound..walking like a penquin, tail arched/hunched over, and pulsating her back side/cloaca. I checked about 2" up inside and did not feel anything (wed). Of course after reading multiple threads and websites (like a human reading webmd), I thought she had marecks and was surely not going to live. Not sure if anyone has researched their human symptoms on webmd but the outcome always seems to be death.

In the instance that it was a bound egg, I have been feeding her yogurt, egg yolks, oatmeal with flax, blended carrots, and salmon. She later received some bananas, watermelon, tums (1 750 mg tablet halved and crushed into food daily) and 2 drops of nature's made, vitamin b complex (aprox 0.05 cc based on weight 1/21 of average human that should take 1 cc of medicine).

Thur -She received an Epsom salt (about 2 tbsp of salts mixed in 3/4 water filled dish washing bin) bath for about 20 mins dissolved in warm water with abdomen massage. I did not want to use too many salts since i could only find rosemary and mint based Epsom salt, Dr teals.

Fri- she did not seem much better and went to the vet in the afternoon (a lot cheaper actually than I thought it would be for anyone who is curious...total cost $130). She received an exam, Dr said fluid in her lungs, felt small lump in rectum (full finger up my girls hiney) but nothing to worry about, she was very hot in the abdomen and bloated with hot feet. She received 1cc of baytril antibiotics ($24) and 0.2 shot of vitamin a ($5). I was given 1cc of baytril to give her today (sat). The dr stated with her being so ill that she would likely cease egg production until she got better/had more energy. After leaving the vet she passed what appeared to be pieces of cooked yolk, a piece of rubbery egg membrane, blood, and a stool. Up until this point, she has had normal looking stools and has since this instance.

My current concern is that she is still exhibiting signs of being egg bound/pertonitis. She has not been drinking water except I've been blending carrots, cucumbers, and water together which she is happy to ingest. All other fruits, vegetables, proteins, carbs/grains she is having no problem eating. I did not want to put her back on the layer feed until she got better. If i am incorrect in thinking that, please let me know, just what i thought was best. I wanted to try bathing her again with epsom salts (will get plain) but her belly is so warm and i didnt want to get her wet with the pneumonia. She has been inside so far and can remain so. Earlier we sat in the bathroom with some hot water running (for steam) and some vetrx placed on her neck and under wings (1 drop from bottle in each location) to try to help clear her lungs. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were for bathing her to see if anything else will pass (despite the pneumonia), should I keep feeding her the tums and b complex, and should I try to cool her down either feet or belly (currently hot) with a cold compress?

Sorry for the novel, just trying to do everything I can for my poor girl, of course the favorite one of the bunch.

Birds don’t breathe as humans do, so the rattling the vet heard may just be mucus in the airway or trachea, not pneumonia. It sounds like your hen is suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as impacted oviduct or internal laying. Egg yolk peritonitis could be possible as well. Ascites can be present in some hens. The baytril, which is banned in egg layers or meat birds, is one of the best antibiotics to use to treat infection in reproductive disorders. Did he mean to just give 2 doses? I think most give 5, but I haven’t ever used it.

Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis are usually fatal eventually, but some hens will get better on antibiotics for awhile, and it may prolong life some. Most sick chickens will eat a small bowl of wet chicken feed, with a little cooked egg and plain yogurt mixed in for probiotics.

Here is some reading about reproductive disorders:
http://www.regenbiocorps.com/index.php/poultry-diseases/17-disorders-of-reproductive-systems

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/egg-peritonitis

The vet assured me that I would only need two days worth but I think he was going off of a diagnosis of pneumonia and figured if she didn't get better off of 2 days worth than she wasn't going to get better at all. In your opinion, do you think it would be wise to try to give her another soaking? Just not sure how to get her to pass whatever is clogging her (reproductive system). She has not lost the urge to want to eat all day and actually started grooming herself today. Still doing the penguin walk however (sigh).

I have read that getting them to defecate more often can possibly help pass whatever yolk or part causing issues in the stomach. I was wondering if laxatives would ever be an option?

Also, the only antibiotics that our supply stores have are injectibles for larger animals. Would duramycin-100 or duramycin 72-200 ever be an option if only administered as a small portion? I am having difficulties finding antibiotics on the shelf as I was told the regulations have changed and now require a rx from a vet and rigid permitting/registering for stores to carry and administer these drugs.

Back
Top Bottom