Chicken struggling to bok

Mamapio

Chirping
Nov 7, 2020
Eastern North Carolina
My 2 year old hen is making repetitive honking noises and seems to be having difficulties breathing. She is active, has normal color and attitude. We have isolated her. She doesn't have a sour smell or anything visible in her throat. Her crop is full and has a few large bits in it. Thoughts on what could be wrong? We will call the vet tomorrow.

Editing to add she seems to have clear liquid coming from her mouth, nose and eyes.

Last edited:
I had an EE who had this kind of wheezy thing once or twice and it eventually passed - she had something caught in her throat. You could try seeing if she would eat moist food, like feed mixed with yogurt, to help soften/clear the obstruction, if that is what it is. Or you could wrap her in a towel and pry open her mouth and see if things look clear down there (she's already stressed however, that will be more stressful - you could try it after dark). On the other hand, it could be something respiratory - others here would be more knowledgeable than I am.

But she does look like she has good energy, and healthy posture, so that is a real positive - and seems less like an illness.

My 2 year old hen is making repetitive honking noises and seems to be having difficulties breathing. She is active, has normal color and attitude. We have isolated her. She doesn't have a sour smell or anything visible in her throat. Her crop is full and has a few large bits in it. Thoughts on what could be wrong? We will call the vet tomorrow.

Editing to add she seems to have clear liquid coming from her mouth, nose and eyes.
Sounds like Stridor, she may have aspirated some fluid, has some mucous, etc.
See if it clears up in the next 24hrs.

She seems to have clear fluid coming from her beak, eyes and nose? Did this happen when she was picked up?
How warm is it where you are? She may have drank a lot of water.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying.
Take care when picking up a bird if they have a full crop and don't press it upward since the contents can come up and they aspirate. Chickens do not have a gag reflex.

Sounds like Stridor, she may have aspirated some fluid, has some mucous, etc.
See if it clears up in the next 24hrs.

She seems to have clear fluid coming from her beak, eyes and nose? Did this happen when she was picked up?
How warm is it where you are? She may have drank a lot of water.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying.
Take care when picking up a bird if they have a full crop and don't press it upward since the contents can come up and they aspirate. Chickens do not have a gag reflex.
The fluid was noted after I picked her up. But, it was awhile later. I sat with her and observed for an hour.
The temperature got to the low 90s yesterday. That is slightly warmer than we have had so far this summer.
I'll check the crop this morning.

I had some left over baytril on hand and gave her a dose last night and this morning. She has improved. The honking is less and her breathing is not as stressed. That leads me to believe it is an infection.

Back
Top Bottom