Chicken struggling to breathe after eating

xKaylor

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 9, 2019
I have a 4 year old Delaware hen that has been having weird breathing issues the past few months. Like when she eats sometimes she starts to not breathe very well so she stands there with her mouth open (sometimes softly wheezing). I took her to an avian vet a few months ago but in all honesty he seemed like he didn’t know what he was doing. I asked him to check for parasites in stool samples which came back negative and then he said he needed to do X-rays. He said her lungs were slightly inflamed. He prescribed her meds which I think worked? But now the issue is back. It didn’t start until I was feeding her treats and then suddenly she was struggling to breathe and standing there with her mouth open. And sometimes sneeze with her mouth open.

Any idea why a chicken might be having breathing issues only after furiously eating? She’s very hyper and always attacks her food (like even if she was choking she’d still be trying to eat lol). Her poop has always been watery as long as I’ve had her (a mystery still but maybe relevant?). And today her nose seemed like it was running a bit.

But she seemed to know something was wrong and ate A LOT of oyster shell when I offered it to her (she’s never done that before). Does she need grit or something?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I have a 4 year old Delaware hen that has been having weird breathing issues the past few months. Like when she eats sometimes she starts to not breathe very well so she stands there with her mouth open (sometimes softly wheezing). I took her to an avian vet a few months ago but in all honesty he seemed like he didn’t know what he was doing. I asked him to check for parasites in stool samples which came back negative and then he said he needed to do X-rays. He said her lungs were slightly inflamed. He prescribed her meds which I think worked? But now the issue is back. It didn’t start until I was feeding her treats and then suddenly she was struggling to breathe and standing there with her mouth open. And sometimes sneeze with her mouth open.

Any idea why a chicken might be having breathing issues only after furiously eating? She’s very hyper and always attacks her food (like even if she was choking she’d still be trying to eat lol). Her poop has always been watery as long as I’ve had her (a mystery still but maybe relevant?). And today her nose seemed like it was running a bit.

But she seemed to know something was wrong and ate A LOT of oyster shell when I offered it to her (she’s never done that before). Does she need grit or something?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Could she be having an allergic reaction to the feed?

Back
Top Bottom