Chicken stuff

Sign paints are somewhat expensive. Exterior grade paints in small cans are your best bet. if you use one brand you can mix your own custom colors if they don't have it ready-made. You can use either acrylic latex (water-based) or enamels (solvent-based) but don't use both types in one sign. Use synthetic-bristle brushes for water-based paints and natural-bristle brushes for oil-based paints. Use a good exterior primer. Made sure your substrate is suitable for exterior conditions. Not all woods or plywoods can be used outdoors. Ext grade plywood is ok. MDO (medium density overlay) board is especially good for signs as it has a very smooth surface. ANy other questions, feel free to email me. ron

My favorite thing is my cast iron dinner bell that hangs outside, has a rooster on top. Dad gave it to me years before I even thought of having chickens.

Sometimes you can get oops paint at the big lumber stores for next to nothing and it is good exterior paint. I got 6 cans of lipstick pink paint and it is all porch and floor paint. for $5 bucks a can. Not that I am thrilled with the color but I can add some green to it and make a nice brown. The un oop same kind uncolored was $35/can so I figure that was a score! Also you can get small cans of that rustoleum paint for $5 per can for about a can half the size of an orange juice concentrate but depending on what you are painting sometimes it is all you need.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom