Chicken Suet cake

Here is a simple suet recipe for wild birds. Add what you want to for your chickens - maybe even just scratch straigtht from the bag.

Easy suet recipe:
  • 1 Cup rendered suet
  • 1 Cup chunky peanut butter
  • 3 Cups stone ground cornmeal
  • 1/2 Cup white or wheat flour
Melt the suet and peanut butter together until they are smooth and liquid. Add the cornmeal and flour, mixing well. Allow the mixture to cool slightly to thicken, then pour it into molds or containers to use. Refrigerate or freeze suet until it is firm and you are ready to use it.
What You Can Add to Suet

While a simple bird suet recipe is useful, adding different ingredients to the mixture before it cools can make it more attractive to birds. Popular ingredients to customize a suet recipe include:
These are the easiest items to add to simple suet to make it even more tempting for your birds. Take the time to experiment with adding other ingredients to discover what your birds find most appetizing, and you’ll soon have plenty of suet-eaters at your backyard buffet.

Being this is on the self sufficient forum, here is what I do.

Very similar to wyoDreamer. When I make my own beef tallow, I save the scraps to melt down and add peanut butter as well as many other veggie/fruit scraps, dried chili peppers and garlic pieces that are to have a health benefit for the chickens.

I just eyeball this stuff and then I pour it into empty cattage cheese containers or what ever I have. Then I stick them in the frig.

The end results is that I rarely buy anything except the peanutbutter. Its just scraps leftover till I have enough to make a batch. And the chickens LOVE it!

I was thinking about what one could do my daughter wants to get a treat ball for chickens when we get them i was wanting to.make uet for them. Thanks now i know it can be done. But we don't eat beef how could we go about replacing tge beef fat?

What do
Being this is on the self sufficient forum, here is what I do.

Very similar to wyoDreamer. When I make my own beef tallow, I save the scraps to melt down  and add peanut butter as well as many other veggie/fruit scraps, dried chili peppers and garlic pieces that are to have a health benefit for the chickens.

I just eyeball this stuff and then I pour it into empty cattage cheese containers or what ever I have. Then I stick them in the frig.

The end results is that I rarely buy anything except the peanutbutter. Its just scraps leftover till I have enough to make a batch. And the chickens LOVE it!

What doylu mean by chili peppers?

Back
Top Bottom