Chicken swallowed a peach pit

Stephanie8806

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Hey all.

I took my chickens some bruised peaches yesterday afternoon and they were so excited. I supervised them for a while, but none of them showed any interest in the pits. Today, when I was moving a hen off of some eggs, I felt something strange in her crop and prodded around a little. Long story short, I’m 99% sure she swallowed a pit!!!

I have no interest in performing surgery… is this something that is going to be fatal for her? Or is a peach put something their bodies will somehow break down over time?

You'll find out.

Don't underestimate the ferocious grinding the crop and gizzard can do. The issue would be size and if the crop can reduce it enough for it to pass out of the crop. Make sure she has plenty of fresh grit.

I understand your reluctance to do crop surgery. Do you happen to have a friend in the medical profession? They are almost always up for practicing their skills. Crop surgery is pretty simple with minimal risks.

If you can line someone up, I can spell out what would be required.

You'll find out.

Don't underestimate the ferocious grinding the crop and gizzard can do. The issue would be size and if the crop can reduce it enough for it to pass out of the crop. Make sure she has plenty of fresh grit.

I understand your reluctance to do crop surgery. Do you happen to have a friend in the medical profession? They are almost always up for practicing their skills. Crop surgery is pretty simple with minimal risks.

If you can line someone up, I can spell out what would be required.

Thank you, and thanks for understanding. I’ll keep an eye on her and keep feeling her crop.

We rotationally butcher our hens here, and she’s on the list to go to freezer camp in November. I don’t want her to suffer the stress of crop surgery and recovery if she’s just getting culled in 6 weeks… but if she were going to be suffering too much over the next few weeks, we’d probably just move her date up to end her suffering.

I’ll play things by ear! I’ll refresh their grit this evening. Do you think she’d benefit from impacted crop treatments like mineral oil, coconut oil, and stool softener? I know they won’t help the pit break down, but it might pass through to the gizzard, which I think is a stronger muscle?

Please do not misunderstand. Raw egg white is mainly for solid objects such as glass, screws, and nails that accidentally get swallowed and are at risk of perforating the crop or intestines. A peach pit would qualify under this catagory. Oil, preferably coconut oil is still the best lubricant for softening a hard crop compaction that may consist of wood shavings or food.

Please do not misunderstand. Raw egg white is mainly for solid objects such as glass, screws, and nails that accidentally get swallowed and are at risk of perforating the crop or intestines. A peach pit would qualify under this catagory. Oil, preferably coconut oil is still the best lubricant for softening a hard crop compaction that may consist of wood shavings or food.
Thank you for clarifying!!

Back
Top Bottom