Chicken Swap & Farm Fest, Sunday, August 30, 12-4, TSC Augusta, Maine

Very well put PRF!

Also, just as an educational thing, this is very basic yet is a good read to explain how "shows" work, http://www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org/Edu_Material/Poultry_Show_Works_NA.pdf
Here is another link to interesting stuff http://www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org/Edu_Material/Poultry_%20Showroom_%20Basics.pdf

Another
thing to look up for showing is the APA Book of Standards.
This is a wealth of information and one time I found the book to read online and kick myself for not marking it.

Sorry that I took over this little section as a tutorial! Either way, you can place birds in a row, in cages, and have folks that are walking through place a ticket in a little bag that is taped infront of the bird. That is not a show, its a fun match!

Its just that if you use "show" or "Fair" you've just come from the pond and jumped into the ocean of legalities! But a fun match would be fun! Give each person 3 tickets, keeping it simple.
Either way, we are looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all the types of venders!

Quote:
Spook, I love that idea... Saves finding a Judge too, let the people decide.... Would be a great idea for the fall or early spring when the temps are a little cooler
smile.png
I'd even be willing to put up a few prizes, love doing that stuff.

I'm in AC right now after another run of checking to make sure all the birds & critters have water and not getting overheated, I got hot enough just checking them. They all look good, though, not panting and taking dirt baths.

Do you know of anyone who may have Wyandotte's at this event? Its kind of a travel for me but for Wyandotte's............ Hmmm, I think my daughter and I might be able to attend.

Well let me know once you have decided. I too only want frizzled and no straight feathered. I am looking for roosters and/or hens.

Quote:
spook, I have frizzles but they are bantam cochins and I have not sorted out what I'm keeping. I do have one barred cockeral that
will for sure be going, mostly I'm keeping female visual frizzles, any others will be up for sale. very limited number.

spook - thanks so much for all your information! I'd be most happy to do a fun match in the fall - ... lets talk it over more at the swap.

Also - 4-H member Sarah Castle will be giving a workshop at 1:30 on Jr. Showmanship and Grooming on August 22 Chicken Swap/Farm Fest

Last edited:
Yes, Sarah is very excited. Her 4-H club will also be there with baked goods and crafts. She will bring a few birds to sell, depending on how hot it is that day, not sure right now what she will have, need to go through a couple more pens, she can't keep 'em all
smile.png

you guys, i didnt even know about this event, i could have sent it in the newsletter. i really need a maine contact to keep me informed. no takers??
idunno.gif

Quote:
Try Hoppy...she was Wyandottes, not sure if she's going or not...

thanks jeneric
yes, mostly wyandottes and a few straight feathered cochin bantam frizzles
sad.png
maybe I should call them frizzleless cochins.
maybe next time I will actually get frizzled chicks

Back
Top Bottom