chicken talk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, May 15, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    hey to everyone. i am new to the chicken scene but already luving it!!!!! i have 2 around 9 week old barred rock one not sure what she is (think i mite post a pic to see what you all think about her) 2 4 week old buff orpingtons and one 4 week old barred rock. just wanted to check on a few sounds they make, a kinda cooing sound when they get settled in for the night. what does that mean happy i think?? before they get settled in peep peep peep peep alot of peeps, does that mean they are ready to go to bed cause they usually do within a few minutes? ok also rubbing their little heads on me like she is trying to hide her eyes the other 2 dont really do that just the one. what does that mean? [​IMG] luving my little chickens

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    CHickens always make a lot of noise before bed time. This is when they re-inforce/establish the pecking order that governs how they interact.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, at night or during the day when they are resting/preening, they make a trilly (almost purring) sound. It's their happy sound.

4. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I have been hearing this too from mine, when they settle in on the roost and are in the process of getting up to the roost. It's constant chatter, but not annoying. Mine are 8 weeks old.

5. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG] I've been wondering what that was and kept meaning to ask if it was normal for my chicks to 'purr'. Thanks!

6. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    yea, mine aren't annoying either. i love that sound i know they are finally happy and settled in for their night of sleep. i am going on a trip for 4 days next week and i dred having to leave them without me for that long maybe they will be ok:( just in there a little while ago getting them settled in chirp chirp chirp..... i cut the lights out chirp chirp some more.... my bedroom light shines through the crack in the bathroom door i cut it out a few more chirps then the wonderful purring sound.[​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That trill just warms my heart whenever I hear it.

It's really special when a chick settles in the crook of my arm or on my shoulder next to my neck, and trills as it settles in to go to sleep.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by