chicken thief

jeepgurl

Songster
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
Today at the Tucson food bank, four rir hens were stolen. The thief cut through a double fence and snatched them from their coop. The hens were used to teach people how to raise chickens and the eggs were sold at a local farmers market. I guess I will be installing a padlock on the coop door..................

I hate thieves! We had a problem with someone stealing our eggs whenever we went out, so we put a security door on the coop which we lock with a padlock. Quite a few of our chickens disappeared over the past year too.
somad.gif

Install a couple trailcams...mount near where the intruders need to pass to get to the pen and the other at the pen. If they try to hide their features, the cam farther away may catch an image before they cover up. The cam at the pen will show images of them comitting the crime. Trailcams can be easily hidden and take great high resolution images...perfect for turing over to authorities.

Another good way to deter thieves is to put up a flood light or a motion detection light. You cna get some great cheap home camera security systems now days too. My Dad had one set up to face the driveway so anyone coming down it would be seen.

i agree human thieves are worse than animal predators. i doubt anyone would steal from my yard though. too many dogs, cameras, deterrents, and signs telling them they are being recorded. plus my neighbor, who has a great view into my backyard would intervene. he loves his fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom