Chicken Toes

teamsunbelt

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Midland, NC
We have a few Bantam Cochins. we picked them up a few weeks ago from a lady who we have gotten other chickens from. They were all kept in a big coop and enclosed run. The run was dirt. I do not believe they were ever let out to freerange.

Some of them have signs of leg mites, which we are treating with Vet-Rx. The other problem is their nails. Some of the toe nails were caked in dirt ( and poop I'm sure) and the nails have grown very long and mis-shapen. A couple have nails that have starting growing sideways or almost in a circle. We have cleaned of the dirt.

Should I now start trimming the nails back, or let them go? I trim dog and cat nails no problem, and I can only assume these are similar. I think that it would take a few different trims to get them back to normal, such that chicken feet are.

Any suggestions or comments?

They definitely need a manicure! I found this on BYC which might help:

"Use a bright mini-flashlight to locate the red quick and cut full quarter-inch AWAY from it. And *always* have cornstarch or some other clotter to hand just in case!"

Don't use scissors, use clippers. You need to be aware of the blood vessel, so don't cut too short. Better to cut a little and often.

Hopefully you have someone to help you, because I doubt the chickens will sit quietly and let you get on with the job!

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

Toe Nails trimmed. I only nicked a few, not bad on 5 mad bantams.

The rooster did have a feather missing on his foot, leaving an empty feather hole, or whatever it is called. It was bleeding a little, is that normal?

Nails look in great shape. A few more trims they may be close to normal. Free ranging may help out as well.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom