Chicken Tractor - Construction Started - Pictures added

So I went shopping today...was able to keep my costs around $150....wooo hooo. Before you judge my pictures please remember I'm NOT a carpenter.

Supplies:
101284_img00266-20110727-1252.jpg

Got a little stuck since it was only me......sometimes having 4 hands would REALLY help. LOL Never underestimate a woman with power tools that knows how to use them!!
101284_img00265-20110727-1251.jpg

My not-so-helper.....
101284_img00267-20110727-1612.jpg

This is as far as I got. I really like it so far. I have reconsidered a few things. I really like the side door and it will probably end up being the main/only door. I walked through it and was able to comfortably move around the inside. I'm still going to do the small door on the back of the nesting boxes though.
101284_img00269-20110727-1646.jpg

Tomorrow:
-Build side/feed door.
-Build nesting boxes
-Paint
-Put woven wire around entire tractor
-Put hardware cloth on bottom 2'
-Put roof and sides on

Critiques, feedback, suggestions???

LOL I used the truck and the dog...she is very well behaved and will normally put up with anything I want and tries anything I ask.

I need a few more suggestions from ya'll.

Here is the frame:
101284_tractor_-_frame.jpg

I'm planning on putting hardware wire around the bottom 2'. The black Xs will be plywood, the blue will be a clear/blueish PVC roofing material, the white will be white PVC roofing material. Does that sound reasonable? I can't decide if the white should be on the top or sides. I was thinking it would let light in while still protecting from the elements.

Last edited:
Not sure what you decided on vents (that are easy to close and open) but when we add some more vents to our shed / Coop, I will use the foundation vents that auto close at around 40 degrees. We already have enough "always open" for year around. They are not as expensive as you might think since it is all mechanical versus electric etc.
Chickens are more cold hardy than you might think also. It is probably more or just as important to have good ventilation all year around to keep moisture build up low. Chickens and their waste generate quite a lot of heat and in the winter without ventilation and them being inside more, that translates into a lot of moisture. There is a post turned into a note someplace on this site about ventilation...i'll look for it. It is very well detailed.

bairo, the whole front will be open and the bottom will be wire...I think they will have plenty of ventilation. I considered putting a floor vent that can be opened/closed from the outside if it seems to get too hot in there.

Looks awesome. I wish you would have had one more hand...so that you could have taken a photo of the dog and truck helping you hold everything. That must have been funny!

Are you still planning to have a slanted roof? That might give you a little space to add ventilation where you have that little 6 inch rise? I don't know that you would need it, though, since you do have a completely open front wall.

I would probably go with the more opaque pvc for the roof. I think your girls will be happy to have some shade in there. Then the clear pvc would act more like windows on the side.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you for tomorrow. Hope all goes well!

suzy, They were GREAT. I love my girl. She still doesn't get why we are spending so much time out in the heat when its perfectly cool inside but she is willing to help where she can. lol

Weeeelllll my slanted roof idea + my lack of carpentry skills = plan to add small pieces of wood under the front of the roof right at the middle of the tractor. I'm only putting a roof on the back half. Right now I'm not too worried about not having enough ventilation....I actually think I'll have plenty with the open front.

I was thinking the opaque on top too...I want them to have some shade.

Thanks I'm going have a FULL day tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom