Chicken Tractor Help

Fireman1317

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2018
Greenfield, IN
We are panning on building our first chicken tractor soon. I found all kind of great ideas on the web, but it seems that no one ever mentions roosting bars. Are they not needed in a chicken tractor? Thanks

That is important in the coop area to encourage them to sleep on the roost bars rather than the nests.

In the run area, the roost just needs to be high enough for them to feel safely off the ground. Also, if you keep it above their heads when walking, they don't lose any floor space in the run. 2' up is a pretty good height as an example. It allows them to easily/safely jump up and down to the roost bar while allowing full floor space.

Last edited:
We are panning on building our first chicken tractor soon. I found all kind of great ideas on the web, but it seems that no one ever mentions roosting bars. Are they not needed in a chicken tractor? Thanks
They're not actually "needed", like they're not "needed" in a coop, but they're more natural for the birds, who instinctively roost up off the ground, given the option, for protection.

I don't think I will need a vehicle to move it for the size I'm moving, but I guess if it came down to it, we could use the ATV to do the job.
They can get pretty heavy, pretty fast.
Use large(at least 10") pneumatic tires....
....what rolls nicely on the driveway is another story out in the pasture.
BTDT.

I'd recommend having one. My girls spend a fair amount of time on theirs, so they obviously like it. I understand that many designs, particularly the triangular chicken tractors, really don't have the shape/size to support it.

Back
Top Bottom