Chicken tractor in pasture - any issues?

itsmatt

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hi,

I'm getting 5 chicks in another month or so and want to put the hens eventually out in a movable run during the Spring/Summer/Fall in one of my pastures when I rotate the horses out of the pasture.

Any issues, tips about this? I'm assuming that if I don't leave the chicken tractor in one place for too long, they won't destroy the pasture, but I don't have any experience with this. Anyone who has info about this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Matt

In case your pasture is lumpy, be aware that nearly all tractor designs develop serious vulnerability to predators on lumpy ground. You can fill in somewhat with bricks etc, but it is still a weak point.

Just something to be aware of,

Pat, with, as you might guess, a lumpy horse pasture
wink.png

we used a tractor and we built ours too big and it was HEAVY...put sledders or wheels on it and it should help. but it has to sit level or something will find a way in.

depending on the size of the tractor you can move it each day when you go to feed and water,you won't destroy your pasture you'll probably see a path of dark green fertilized grass from where the tractor was dragged.hopefully your pen will be within seeing distance from your house.You will want to keep an eye on them from time to time.You might get a visitor looking for an easy meal. will

My hens are in a chicken tractor 24/7 365 days of the year. they seem to be healthy so far. They also get free range and have a large movable covered fence. I like the pastured system because there is no poop and the hens get fresh pasture every day.
Henry

Thanks much for the feedback.

Definitely need to look at addressing the uneven ground issue, though I'm not all that excited about having to 'plug holes' with boards, logs or bricks each time I move it. But, I want the birds out in the pasture and not in my back yard, so I might have to put up with that.

Thanks again for the comments!

Matt

If you do have lumps and dips, IMO the best solution is probably to build a 12" skirt into the tractor that can be weighted down with bricks or rocks into the 'dips. (It should be flexible enough to do this unless you build it of some REALLY fearsomely rigid mesh).

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom