Chicken tried to hang herself. Need some advice

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Hi, it's been awhile since I've been on the forum. Life gets busy, but now I have an urgent problem.

My chicken tried to hang herself a couple of days ago. I have a chain in the coop that I used to hand lights on. It's about 3 inches long and I guess a fly got on it or something and the chicken lunged and got hooked through her bottom jaw like a fish.

I went out to put the chickens in and they wouldn't go in like normal. I immediately knew there was something wrong in the coop. I thought it was a snake. I finally got them in and opened the big door to see what the problem was. That's when I saw the chicken hanging motionless from the chain.

I went in and found that she was still alive, barely. Her insides were coming out her vent and her eyes were closed. I hurried to get her down and brought her in the house. I tried to revive her and she did seem to perk up. I gave her a little water and tried to fix her insides but decided that was a bad idea. She had been under enough stress that I just needed to let her rest and recover.

I found a clean box and placed her in it in a cool room and left her alone. I checked on her once during the night and her neck was stretched out and she was laying flat on her chest. In the morning she was perked up and trying to get out of the box. I was so relieved, but knew I couldn't let her go back out until I knew she could eat and drink. Her insides had fixed themselves and she even laid an egg that day. But she's still not able to eat and drink.

She has a hole in the bottom of her beak that her tongue comes out it and water comes out it and food comes out it. I fed her today with a syringe and she sat quietly and ate all I could give her.

So I'm thinking that I should put tape on the bottom of her beak to keep her tongue, food, and water in. Is this a good idea? Do you have other ideas? Will her beak heal? I don't know what to do now and hope that you all can help me figure out the next step.

Thanks

WOW! I want to know the answer to this too! What will a chicken do next! Your house sounds like mine, if it can happen, it will happen to you!

You might need something that won't come off. What about using super glue? I've used this to close cuts. Of course she'll have to sit still for a minute while it dries but it should hold up a while. I'm just trying to think of something more permanent and something less tacky than tape. With tape you'll have things going in the hole and sticking which can lead to infection. Super glue works on nails too so I'd go with that personally.

Problem is, it's a hole, not just a cut. So there is nothing to close. I worry that superglue will glue her tongue too. I was thinking of tape with a little inverted piece where the hole was so nothing would stick. I really don't know but appreciate your ideas.

what about super-gluing a small piece of tape to the outside of her beak? if you could make sure that no super glue goes thru the hole into her mouth, maybe the tape will stick and you won't glue her tongue down?

tough one......good luck....I'm pulling for her!!!
fl.gif

This may be totally off base but what about acryllic like for nails? You can buy the kits to do it yourself you might be able ti rig something up with that stuff. They used to have silk wraps for nails also. I do not know much about those but it might be worth looking in to.

Good luck. I hope you find something to fix her up!

Wow what a freak accident, Im anxious to see what you do...I would call the vet tho tomo cause they do have diff things to close/glue wounds and I know there is something they use on turtle shells that get damaged.

i agree, temporarily, you should get some super glue to harden it there so she can eat. however, for a more permanent solution i would go to your local dentist! lol im serious tho, i think a filling would be perfect, ( if you can get someone to do it...) if not, i would check with your vet for advise. hope she pulls through! also, i think this really is worth finding out how to fix this. i encourage you not to cull her. good luck!

Back
Top Bottom