We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Chicken trying to Kill my Duck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaNoodleDuck, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MamaNoodleDuck

MamaNoodleDuck Hatching

Jul 15, 2019
    Hi, I have a small back yard flock. All but one of our old flock had died to we purchased new chicks and ducks... they got along fine tell recently. Our older chicken is now attacking my duck standing on her neck and pecking at her head. I’m not sure what to do and I fear for my ducks life, we have her out of the coup and staying indoors so she won’t get hurt. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do?

2. Tiggerandfriends

Tiggerandfriends In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2017
    Introductions can be tricky. I have had to intro ducks to ducks, chickens to chickens, and ducks to chickens several times, and the best way I have found to do this is to lock them up together at night. I have a wooden box that my ducks spend the night in and a wooden chicken coup that the chickens stay in. I put the new ones in with the older ones once they go up for the night, and by morning they are usually pretty good with each other. I hope this helps.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How long(day(s), week(s)?) did they get along before the attack happened?

Need more info.
    -your flock size(numbers, ages, genders)?
    -your coop(size in feet by feet with pics)?

How did you introduce the new birds to the on remaining chicken?

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @MamaNoodleDuck
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
    upload_2019-7-16_8-36-18.png

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello..The Chicken sounds dominant and the Duck doesn't speak Chicken. Sometimes you can't keep the two species together so another set up is needed and get the Duck if alone a Duck friend.

5. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    Sounds like the rooster is trying to mount the duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: