Chicken tucking its head under itself and running backwards?? Concussed?

Sundogz

Chirping
Apr 1, 2018
It's a 7 week old Golden Wyandotte chick that resides currently in a large wire crate with a dozen other chicks. I heard a big commotion this morning like a fight and found this one behaving extremely strange. She's keeping her chin tucked flat to her neck at all times and will enter spontaneous moments where she tucks her head all the way under herself as if to preen her belly, but it looks rather like she's trying to rub the side of her head against herself as if her face hurts. She does this really aggressively and tends to start panicking backwards like a chicken that's had its head grabbed. If I try to straighten her neck at all she shuts her eyes and shakes to make me let go. When not doing the weird front flip attempt behavior she sits on her hocks looking down with her tucked head.
What's going on? Her eyes don't look injured or offset at all and I can't see any physical trauma.

That is probably too small of an area for a dozen chickens. Your pullet may have wry neck (torticolis) from a head injury, but it can also be caused by heredity, a vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and can be seen in some infectious diseases, such as Mareks disease and others.

I would separate her in another crate next to them with her own food and water. Start her on vitamins—Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml daily would be good, or you may use another vitamin as long as it has E and B1. Give a little cooked chopped egg daily. Make sure the chicken is getting food and water, and you can feed her a wet mash of chick feed, water, and egg several times a day. Hopefully, it will get better soon, but it can take days or weeks to know.

my old rooster's doing that right now I found him with his head tucked under his body and I thought he was printing himself. he's had seizures in the past but it's going to be 108 today and he won't drink any water and I think he might be dying. I can't leave him alone because he just does somersault she backs up and then he rolls over. I don't think it's heat stroke because he was in the shade but I don't know what happened before I went out there this morning. I have two pens that are connected and they can walk from either one and he was the only one in the pen and it's definitely not overcrowded is about 15 chickens and two huge pens

my old rooster's doing that right now I found him with his head tucked under his body and I thought he was printing himself. he's had seizures in the past but it's going to be 108 today and he won't drink any water and I think he might be dying. I can't leave him alone because he just does somersault she backs up and then he rolls over. I don't think it's heat stroke because he was in the shade but I don't know what happened before I went out there this morning. I have two pens that are connected and they can walk from either one and he was the only one in the pen and it's definitely not overcrowded is about 15 chickens and two huge pens

Back
Top Bottom