Chicken unbalanced and constant head flicking

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
My 3yr Silkie Showgirl Cock Barry has become very unbalanced, regularly falling over and shakes and flicks his head frequently. I first noticed him looking off about 8 weeks ago, maybe longer. Initially I assumed it was either some kind of ear infection or mareks. I treated him with antibiotics (Baytril) for 7 days and it had no effect. I have also given him Metacam to see if that made any difference to his symptoms which it hasn't. He has been living in the house with us for the last 8 weeks, in a pop up playpen to stop him stumbling about the lounge and getting himself stuck behind furniture. He is eating, although not as much as usual and is losing weight. Drinking and pooping normally. Now I'm thinking he has suffered some kind of neurological event which has resulted in the observed behaviours? His condition had neither worsened or improved the entire time. I don't expect he'll recover but I would like to at least understand what is going on. Initially I had expected that he would pass away but he seems to have adjusted to his new normal quite quickly and now likes sleeping in a chair by the fire or on your lap in the evening. I have thought about taking him to the vets but I'm fully expecting they won't know what's going on with him so interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar with their birds?

Thank you

My 3yr Silkie Showgirl Cock Barry has become very unbalanced, regularly falling over and shakes and flicks his head frequently. I first noticed him looking off about 8 weeks ago, maybe longer. Initially I assumed it was either some kind of ear infection or mareks. I treated him with antibiotics (Baytril) for 7 days and it had no effect. I have also given him Metacam to see if that made any difference to his symptoms which it hasn't. He has been living in the house with us for the last 8 weeks, in a pop up playpen to stop him stumbling about the lounge and getting himself stuck behind furniture. He is eating, although not as much as usual and is losing weight. Drinking and pooping normally. Now I'm thinking he has suffered some kind of neurological event which has resulted in the observed behaviours? His condition had neither worsened or improved the entire time. I don't expect he'll recover but I would like to at least understand what is going on. Initially I had expected that he would pass away but he seems to have adjusted to his new normal quite quickly and now likes sleeping in a chair by the fire or on your lap in the evening. I have thought about taking him to the vets but I'm fully expecting they won't know what's going on with him so interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar with their birds?

Thank you
Do you have photos of him or a video of his actions?

For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.

Your initial thought was ear infection - did you inspect the inside of his ears for pus, debris, mites?
Does he have any mites or lice on the body?

Do the feathers/fluff around his eyes need trimming?

Any Scaly Leg mites or bumblefoot/problems with long nails, crooked toes, etc.?

Crop emptying overnight?

I'd try vitamin therapy to see if he improves. Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with some egg.
What type of feed do you feed him? If possible, provide him with chick starter or an all flock feed instead of layer feed since he doesn't lay eggs (I hope:)).

Marek's disease could be a possibility, it is more commonly seen when birds are younger, but it can appear at any age.

Inside of his ears are all clear, it was more precautionary antibiotics based on his behaviour. No visible lice or mites, I treated him with ivermectin at the time just in case. The feathers round his eyes are all fairly short and his eyes are clearly visible. Have checked him for bumblefoot and scaley leg and again all seems fine. Crop emptying as expected. He's been having scrambled egg most days for breakfast and I've been putting multivitamin drops in his water. He was on layers pellets but I was thinking last night I'll try him on chick crumb today, maybe make him some porridge with it for breakfast so thanks for that suggestion. I'm really mystified as to what seems to have happend to him. Wouldn't he have died by now assuming it was mareks?

Hard to know what is going on. Mareks symptoms usually occur in younger birds under a year, unless they are exposed to a carrier later on. I would try the vitamins that Wyorp Rock recommended. I would recheck the ears with QTips, and look for mites or lice on his skin under the vent, wings, and Elise where. I wouldn’t treat again if I didn’t see any, but ivermectin is usually repeated after 14 days if mites/lice are there.

Inside of his ears are all clear, it was more precautionary antibiotics based on his behaviour. No visible lice or mites, I treated him with ivermectin at the time just in case. The feathers round his eyes are all fairly short and his eyes are clearly visible. Have checked him for bumblefoot and scaley leg and again all seems fine. Crop emptying as expected. He's been having scrambled egg most days for breakfast and I've been putting multivitamin drops in his water. He was on layers pellets but I was thinking last night I'll try him on chick crumb today, maybe make him some porridge with it for breakfast so thanks for that suggestion. I'm really mystified as to what seems to have happend to him. Wouldn't he have died by now assuming it was mareks?
Not all birds that become symptomatic with the Marek's virus die, they can even "get better" for a good while, it just depends on the form of Marek's that affects them.

While multivitamin drops are o.k. in the water, they provide a low dose.
I'd give him direct vitamins as suggested to see if those help. You can use human vitamins, these are found in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. if you are in the U.S. or ask your pharmacist to help you find them.

Back
Top Bottom