Chicken Vomiting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteLeghorn, Sep 3, 2011.

1. WhiteLeghorn

WhiteLeghorn Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Last night, I left the food bowl in my chicken's coop because it has not had a proper meal for days. The next day, today, she has just been sitting there. I thought she was just full so I kept giving her water and she drinks it but sometimes she vomits when she drinks. This has never happened before and I fear something is wrong. I do hope it is nothing serious. I will keep giving her water to replace the liquids she has lost. Please, someone, please help.

2. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Is it actual vomit or a little drool? Sometimes crop water drools out when the put their head down, this is normal.

3. WhiteLeghorn

May 16, 2010
    It is vomit, I reckon. There is food in it. She is moving slowly and appears tired.

4. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    What are you feeding it?

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    is her crop full of sour food?

6. WhiteLeghorn

May 16, 2010
    Quote:Bread and the regular chicken food (pellets but not egg laying ones) It appears she might've eaten too much.

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:Why hasn't she had a proper meal in days?? I'm not being judgmental, it just might be a clue to solving the equation.

Edited for typo

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. Mavrik

Jun 15, 2011
    I would check what Hot2Pot suggested in that case. Smell the chicken's breath, if it's sour, it may have sour crop. Lots of threads on the subject.

Chickens don't throw up from eating too much.

9. WhiteLeghorn

May 16, 2010
    Quote:Why hasn't she had a proper meal in days?? I'm not being judgmental, it just might be a clue to solving the equation.

Edited for typo

Mum hasn't been able to get her regular food because it rained very hard for days without pause. During that time, I just gave her loaves of bread.

10. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:At this point, I'd probably follow the above advice. Good luck, I hope your hen gets better!

The bread was fresh, and not moldy, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by