CHICKEN WALKING UPRIGHT AND STRUGGLING PLEASE HELP

It won’t hurt to insert a clean finger into her vent up to 2 inches to feel for an egg, just to rule that out. But it sounds more like a reproductive disorder with her walking upright with a wide stance. Cancer, salpingitis, and other disorders are common, and they can affect how well the crop empties overnight. Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and again in 10 days is a good wormer.
ok ill get onto buying some of that. ill also check her vent just to make sure. if it is cancer or salpingitis is there anything that can be done or its really just a waiting game?

I read recently where up to 30% of hens over 2 get reproductive cancer. Many others get salpingitis, and lash egg material may be seen inside the abdomen. If reproductive infection is treated early with antibiotics, it could possibly help, but it may not. There probably is not much you can do except provide supportive care, let her eat a healthy diet and hang with her flock. If any of mine ever seem to be suffering or they get pecked or shunned by other chickens, then I will consider putting them down. It can be helpful then to do a simple necropsy of the abdominal organs to look for anything unusual.

I read recently where up to 30% of hens over 2 get reproductive cancer. Many others get salpingitis, and lash egg material may be seen inside the abdomen. If reproductive infection is treated early with antibiotics, it could possibly help, but it may not. There probably is not much you can do except provide supportive care, let her eat a healthy diet and hang with her flock. If any of mine ever seem to be suffering or they get pecked or shunned by other chickens, then I will consider putting them down. It can be helpful then to do a simple necropsy of the abdominal organs to look for anything unusual.
thank you, its such as shame but ill keep trying. she loves all her chooky sisters so ill try and get her to be with them so she's happy. she's still trying to follow them but her movement is very restricted, she's certainly a fighter! my hens free range and from their coop theres about a 30 metre track down to the garden but she trys slowly three steps at a time untill I carry her. im considering a wheel chair to make her more comfortable but we'll see how she goes.
thanks for all your help

thank you, its such as shame but ill keep trying. she loves all her chooky sisters so ill try and get her to be with them so she's happy. she's still trying to follow them but her movement is very restricted, she's certainly a fighter! my hens free range and from their coop theres about a 30 metre track down to the garden but she trys slowly three steps at a time untill I carry her. im considering a wheel chair to make her more comfortable but we'll see how she goes.
thanks for all your help
Hope she feels better :(

hi one of my beautiful isa brown rescue hens who I have had for about 18 months has been progressively getting worse all week for the last 5 days she has been walking upright like a penguin off balance with her upper legs sticking out the side. she has a pooey bum as well she inst particularly hungry but she is eating and drinking. im so confused and I want to help her!! I love her so much. I got her and 4 other hens as rescue hens from an egg farm one of them died from what we think was mereks about 8 months ago one disappeared 1 has exhibited the same symptoms as the first one twice but got better both times. the other one is fine and now Martha is sick. could the illnesses be connected? the first hen (Henny Penny) never displayed this symptom. I was wondering if she might be egg bound but I don't have any experience with this. should I take her to the vet? or perhaps invest in a chicken wheel chair? its very cold here but should I perhaps put her in some warm water if she's egg bound?
thank you for reading!!
I’m not an expert but I’ve been giving my hen whos had been affected by Mereks for many years an anti inflammatory vegetable broth containing Beets, carrot, onion, fresh turmeric root, fresh ginger root, garlic and fresh ground black peppercorns. I give it to her daily and saw nearly instant improvement to her lifelong handicaps…. Wish I had done it sooner. It shouldn’t hurt your hen to try even if Mereks isn’t the cause.

Back
Top Bottom