Chicken walks around fluffed up.

Non broodies don't like all that puffing and tuck, tuck, tucking one little bit.
Pretty odd they see it as defensible behavior being as it is fairly mandatory for making more chickens. Boy do they ever see it as defensible none the less.:)
I noticed. One of the other hens actually flew at her pretty violently.

Bad news. She is now not moving, sits in one spot in the corner. She limps too, can't use one leg very well. There was a soft shelled egg in the coop today on the ground, not sure if it's hers or not but going to assume it is. Need more help with this...
Thanks.

Oh no! I was getting all happy for your hen and you.

Calcium! I believe it's recommended to feed an extra dose of calcium if you're sure it's hers. I presume you've had access to free choice oyster shell all along?
Tell us more about the limping. Have you checked her over?
Is she possibly nesting up in a corner? Getting broody and cozy?

Do you have a wire pet crate?

Agrees exam, then crate.
Wonders if her leg got hurt scuffling with other birds?

My notes on isolation, exam, limpers:
I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

Oh no! I was getting all happy for your hen and you.

Calcium! I believe it's recommended to feed an extra dose of calcium if you're sure it's hers. I presume you've had access to free choice oyster shell all along?
Tell us more about the limping. Have you checked her over?
Is she possibly nesting up in a corner? Getting broody and cozy?

Do you have a wire pet crate?

Yes, free choice oyster shell.

Asked my family to feel her abdomen, they say it is normal, just muscle tissue. Not squishy or hard.

Edit: They say she is hopping.

Also, limited internet where I am, so I don't know how often I can update.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom