chicken was stuck without water for days

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
We just found 2 year old hens that we thought a predator had gotten. We looked everywhere for these birds. One had a hurt foot or leg, the other one was just fine. One died. We found them from the smell. The other one is in bad shape. We were surprised that she was alive at all. We took her out and put her next to the water, she drank. She can raise up a little but can't walk. I'm thinking she is the one with the bad leg. She was lighter than the other one. Her comb is drooping but still red. She is a leghorn. Does she stand a chance of recovering? The kids don't want to see her put down without giving her a chance. Right now she is by the water on green grass with food and a little salt in front of her. She is blocked from the other chickens. I think I'm going to give her some watermelon.

Have you looked her over carefully? She may have an injury that's beyond repair, if she smells bad (not sure that's what you mean.)

On the other hand, it's a good sign she drank. If you can't find anything, she may be just fine with rest and nourishment.

Give them some time. I would add some electrolyte to the water. A splash of gatorade will encourage drinking and provide electrolyte.

Give them some time.  I would add some electrolyte to the water.  A splash of gatorade will encourage drinking and provide electrolyte.

I don't have any Gatorade. Wait I do have some electrolytes, forgot about that. Must get that in right away.

The stink was from the dead bird but this one doesn't look or smell great. She could use a bath before we can tell anything. If she makes it until tomorrow she might get a bath.

I would say wash her up as soon as you can or at least look her over and make sure maggots haven't set up. Beyond that, offering water and food and a safe quiet place to rest is the best medicine.

She is amazingly perking up some. She isn't walking yet but doesn't look almost dead. I'll wash her tomorrow and I'll look her over when I move her into the coop for night. She was in the barn in the dark and I don't think there were any flies in there. The pasture, aways from the chickens, has the worst biting flies.

Last edited:
I decided to wash her a little, no maggots, all skin intact. This is not the one that had the bad leg but rather one of the good layers with the dirty butt. I think the washing did her some good. Her legs looked better after the quick wash but she still isn't standing well. She was wedged against somethings and did a little damage to her sides. I think she stinks so bad because she was touching the dead chicken - lovely thought isn't it. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
I once had a chicken who had a similar problem. Piyo the Buff Orpington. She couldn't even lift her head for a while. But after giving her some food and water and comfy box to sleep in for a couple days and nights, she started to recover. Good luck!

She can stand and has somehow managed to make it across the coop. If she can't walk by Friday or Saturday I will put her down.

Back
Top Bottom