Chicken waterers

mandy_erica

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2020
1BAA2301-E82A-4A18-9CA3-107C3B9996AB.png
BDC1A5C9-82D7-47B2-BD70-2DD4265043DE.png

Hi all! Just wondering if any of you have tried these chicken waterers? And if so what has worked best for you? Or was there something you’ve like better? Nipple watered or the cup style? I’m looking for a better way to keep the water cleaner- especially for during times when we are out of town and we need someone to stop by every other day.
Thanks!

You have to train the chickens to drink out of the first top one. (not very difficult BTW)
The bottom cup type is fine, but not practical if you will encounter cold/freezing conditions. Even if that one has a heater inside, the cups will freeze. The top one with horizontal nipples, is less likely to freeze up if there is a deicer/heater inside during winter.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome and

I guess I'm old school. I have a 3 gallon metal water fount and a metal base heater for my water. It has worked really good this winter with temps as low as -23F and no ice! In order to keep the water cleaner from debris being kicked into the fount, I have a patio block underneath the metal base heater and then the 3 gallon fount on top of the heater. So the fount is about 5 inches above the floor and the water stays pretty clean.

If you have freezing cold winters, then keeping the water liquid becomes your main concern. Another advantage this type of water fount has is that I can just look at the waterer and immediately see the water in there for the chickens. If I used the nipples, I would have to test them all the time to make sure water was flowing - especially when we get those -23F nights.

The metal waterer and base heater combo is probably a bit more expensive then what you are looking at, but at least for where I live, it's well worth the extra money to get the metal.

poultry fount.jpg
Little giant base heater.jpg

View attachment 2034356View attachment 2034358

Hi all! Just wondering if any of you have tried these chicken waterers? And if so what has worked best for you? Or was there something you’ve like better? Nipple watered or the cup style? I’m looking for a better way to keep the water cleaner- especially for during times when we are out of town and we need someone to stop by every other day.
Thanks!
That looks so nice and functional, I will definitely purchase that, I will get at least two. I have a lot of chickens to water.

Just wondering if any of you have tried these chicken waterers? And if so what has worked best for you? Or was there something you’ve like better?

I don't know your climate but if you get freezing temps the cup style is more prone to freezing. Neither unit has a built in heater either, if freezing is an issue.

If freezing is a concern for the price range you're looking at this is a good unit if you want something premade: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/premier-1-heated-poultry-waterer.11903/

If there is no danger of freeze, then either could work. I've used a horizontal and vertical nipples thus far. Vertical freezes too, which is why I no longer use one.

Horizontal nipples are the best, IMO, for freezing temps or not.
Cups will freeze.....and gather detritus.
If you're handy HN's can be used in many different vessels.
This article tells how to install the nipples, sorry for the missing pics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

Welcome to BYC! @mandy_erica
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582554249880.png

I don't know your climate but if you get freezing temps the cup style is more prone to freezing. Neither unit has a built in heater either, if freezing is an issue.

If freezing is a concern for the price range you're looking at this is a good unit if you want something premade: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/premier-1-heated-poultry-waterer.11903/

If there is no danger of freeze, then either could work. I've used a horizontal and vertical nipples thus far. Vertical freezes too, which is why I no longer use one.
Thanks! We do get below freezing temps during the nights. I’ll look into the one you posted!

:old If you have a good local farm store, try to find out what kinds of waterers they sell the most. In general, I believe local people will be buying the type of waterer that works best for your location. In my case, the local farm store sells maybe 3X-4X more metal waterers and heated base combos than the heated plastic waterers with the nipples. And, as I stated, the metal waterer combo is a little bit more expensive than the plastic options. So people don't buy them to save money on the initial purchase.

I am very lucky in that my local small farm stores have people with experience raising chickens in charge of ordering, stocking, and sells chicks. One guy has 30+ years raising chickens at one store, and another store has a lady who has raised chickens for 20+ years. What they offer me is their practical experience raising chickens, especially in our local area and how to get them through the winters. I don't suppose that holds true in a much larger big box farm store like TSC, etc... But I have learned to ask the sales people if they have raised chickens locally before I ask them any questions on care of my birds. Some sales people are only good for scanning the price of an item.... if you know what I mean.

View attachment 2034356View attachment 2034358

Thanks!
This actually gave me a pretty good idea of a DIY. I hope you don't mind, I'd rather make my own, than to buy such an expensive item.

Horizontal nipples are the best, IMO, for freezing temps or not.

I read your linked article, and thought it was a great idea for transport cages. I am thinking of making a 5 gallon bucket waterer with HNs for use in the chicken run in the non freezing temps. I am assuming an opaque bucket would be better than transparent bottles for the waterer(s) outside - to cut down on the algae growth. How often would you have to change out the water in a 5 gallon bucket outside, assuming that the HNs would reduce the amount of wasted water and would probably last a long time. Also, would you put anything in the outside water to deter algae growth (Apple cider vinegar?, etc...).

Back
Top Bottom