Chicken wings stuck in fly trap glue

Ketta_czarina

Songster
Jun 17, 2019
One of my little Roos got out of the coop, and while in a panic to get back in, he ended up getting his wing feathers stuck in a fly trap.

It was so sticky, and the more we all struggled, the worse it seemed to get, so I ended up cutting the feathers loose. I cut the least possible amount, but there’s a little blood, and some spots are still super sticky. I tried washing them with soap and water, he is now wrapped in a towel, in a cage in the bathroom with a heat lamp. He seems content and fell asleep.

Is there anything else that can be done? Or is it just a matter of waiting until the feathers fall out?

See if a little olive oil will take the sticky out. The only other thing I can think of is Dawn dish soap, but I would try the oil first. Just put some in a dish or bowl, dip your fingers in it, then try rubbing your fingers on the sticky feathers and see if that softens the glue or causes it to ball up so you can work it out. Good luck!

See if a little olive oil will take the sticky out. The only other thing I can think of is Dawn dish soap, but I would try the oil first. Just put some in a dish or bowl, dip your fingers in it, then try rubbing your fingers on the sticky feathers and see if that softens the glue or causes it to ball up so you can work it out. Good luck!
This!!! I had a wild bird that got caught in a sticky trap (not my trap). I soaked the bird in oil for like 30 minutes, scrubbed it with Dawn dish soap, and after it dried it seemed to fly away fine.

Thank you, I got a hold of a 24 hour exotics clinic and they suggested the olive oil and dish soap as well.

He looks a little rumpled, but is up and chirping for his momma. I think I’ll keep him out of the dirt for today, just in case.

Aaaahh! I'm here because this JUST happened to one of my girls :(
I got the fly trap off her, but she has glue all over her backside. Soap does nothing to get it off my own hands...I'll try the oil. Never again with the fly strips!!!:barnie

@rbnk1 oh no!!!! I separated our little guy for the night. He was still a little sticky in the morning, but he was going NUTS to be back with his mom and siblings. He’s been fine ever since! It might be worse on us than it is on them.

@rbnk1 oh no!!!! I separated our little guy for the night. He was still a little sticky in the morning, but he was going NUTS to be back with his mom and siblings. He’s been fine ever since! It might be worse on us than it is on them.
Oh I'm pretty sure of that lol
My girl is looking pretty good considering how matted that strip was in her white feathers.
Its gona take a while for her to fluff back up. No more sticky tapes!

Back
Top Bottom