chicken wire keeps almost nothing out

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
I know many around here already know chicken wire is almost useless at keeping anything other than chickens in or out, but I’m just here to say it again. I made the mistake of using it for a makeshift brooder Wednesday after my broody hen abandoned her two chicks. I can home from work a little bit ago to a black snake in the brooder with one of the chicks in its mouth and the other dead in the corner of the brooder. The snake went right through the holes of the wire. I had hardware cloth but didn’t use it and now my chicks are dead.

I’ve been reading around and many seem to recommend 1/2” 19 gauge hardware cloth.

I'm sorry for the loss of your chicks. Thanks for re-reminding people why chicken wire isn't good protection for chickens.
I just didn’t think a snake would go for 5 week old chicks. If anything, I figured it would’ve gone for the eggs my broody hen is sitting on…I guess it went for whatever it came to first.

I made a stupid mistake when I knew better and my chicks paid for it.

I think EVERYONE has made at least one stupid mistake. I forgot and left a coop open one night; the run did not have hardware cloth. Three of my original four laying hens were killed by a mink. Believe me, I learned a painful lesson there. You are far from the first and far from the last. And, you will not make that mistake again, I'm sure.

I think EVERYONE has made at least one stupid mistake. I forgot and left a coop open one night; the run did not have hardware cloth. Three of my original four laying hens were killed by a mink. Believe me, I learned a painful lesson there. You are far from the first and far from the last. And, you will not make that mistake again, I'm sure.
Yep, I lost 4 quail due to not predator proofing the aviary well enough. Predator proofing something, is worth every effort

My first flock was totally wiped out by a dog because I didn't know that chicken wire was only to keep chickens in. All my chickens live in Chicken Fort Knox now behind hot wires and did I mention the radar controlled machine guns at each corner... well just kidding about the machine guns.

JT
I got scared for a second there 😆

Back
Top Bottom