chicken wire keeps almost nothing out

I lost over 20 quail at the beginning of this spring. Dogs literally chewed through my wooden fence in the backyard and then through the wood framed pens, they pulled the hardware cloth off with thier teeth after splitting the wood. It was insane. Even when we think we have everything secure things get through our defenses. I have developed the mindset that in keeping prey animals, I will have losses. It doesn't hurt any less, but it helps keep things in perspective. And as others said , you learn valuable lessons when it's painful. I still very sorry you lost your little peeps ☹️

I lost over 20 quail at the beginning of this spring. Dogs literally chewed through my wooden fence in the backyard and then through the wood framed pens, they pulled the hardware cloth off with thier teeth after splitting the wood. It was insane. Even when we think we have everything secure things get through our defenses. I have developed the mindset that in keeping prey animals, I will have losses. It doesn't hurt any less, but it helps keep things in perspective. And as others said , you learn valuable lessons when it's a painful. I still very sorry you lost your little peeps ☹️
We had our quails killed by a squirrel, who did not even eat them, they did it just for fun…now, we have wire under the aviary, not just around it…it so sad to see lifeless bodies of your pets on the ground…

We had our quails killed by a squirrel, who did not even eat them, they did it just for fun…now, we have wire under the aviary, not just around it…it so sad to see lifeless bodies of your pets on the ground…
That's the thing that gets me, the dogs didn't even eat them. I was a devastating scene to wake up to. They just killed every single one and left them there.
I can't imagine seeing a squirrel kill anything, I guess everything is vicious in the right circumstances 😐

That's the thing that gets me, the dogs didn't even eat them. I was a devastating scene to wake up to. They just killed every single one and left them there.
I can't imagine seeing a squirrel kill anything, I guess everything is vicious in the right circumstances 😐
They don’t bother our chickens, but they did kill our quail…atleast I am 90% sure they did

My rooster, Maude, found another snake hanging around the coop. Bad thing is, I had a broody hen hatch out chicks a few days ago. It didn’t get anything, but it’s looking like I have a snake problem brewing.
2CD06EE3-329E-459A-963F-174BF2602176.jpeg

Chicken wire isn't good for brooders for another reason, besides predators - young chicks can slip right through the holes in chicken wire, wander off and get lost/eaten/cold and die. That was my mistake. It was in the coop so they were safe, but I used chicken wire to section the broody and her chicks off from the flock and one chick squeezed through the chicken wire holes, got separated and almost froze to death on a 40-degree night away from mom. I just happened to be in the back yard for something else and heard it chirping, and saved it, but it would've died otherwise, as it couldn't figure out how to get back through.

Losing chickens to dogs is especially infuriating. With wild animals, okay, it's nature or they're hungry or whatever, plus we're on their land anyway. It's frustrating, but understandable. With dogs however, there is no excuse. Dogs are owned by people, and people need to be responsible and keep their dogs (their property) off of other people's property. I wouldn't shoot a wild animal on my property, because I respect nature and understand that I'm just tempting it with my prey birds, but I would have no issue whatsoever shooting loose dogs that run into my yard. Especially repeat offenders where it's not a matter of somebody's beloved pet escaping this one time, but people who habitually and knowingly let their dogs roam other people's yards.

What exactly IS good for protecting the chicks in the run? I'm lookin to fence in my deck and their coop will attach to the side of decking. We have a neighbor that just moved in and she has a dog...so I need to do something well fast!
I found this...is this good or no?

Fencing at Lowes

What exactly IS good for protecting the chicks in the run? I'm lookin to fence in my deck and their coop will attach to the side of decking. We have a neighbor that just moved in and she has a dog...so I need to do something well fast!
I found this...is this good or no?

Fencing at Lowes
Looks like it's out of stock. A lot of fencing products are out of stock or sky high prices. My hens feel safe behind a 5' chain link fence with 3 hot wires on the outside. Usually a dog won't come near a fence of any kind after being shocked. I have 100' of fence and used a 25 MILE fence charger! Is it hot... it knocks the bejesus out of you when you touch it. And I try to avoid touching it but a few times have gotten too close it hurts like heck.

If your in a rural area usually you can shoot a dog that comes after your livestock.

If your in a city and she lets the do run loose call animal control.

JT

Looks like it's out of stock. A lot of fencing products are out of stock or sky high prices. My hens feel safe behind a 5' chain link fence with 3 hot wires on the outside. Usually a dog won't come near a fence of any kind after being shocked. I have 100' of fence and used a 25 MILE fence charger! Is it hot... it knocks the bejesus out of you when you touch it. And I try to avoid touching it but a few times have gotten too close it hurts like heck.

If your in a rural area usually you can shoot a dog that comes after your livestock.

If your in a city and she lets the do run loose call animal control.

JT
Yeah man I miss the countryside!
We are in a subdivision and for 8 years we have never had a neighbor...now we do a d she has a dog and OUR chickens squeeze through our wrought iron fencing. So we have the problem that must be fixed asap.

Back
Top Bottom