Chicken with a cold

JRSherlock

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
So our little girl Hot-Lips has come down with a cold.She's congested with leaky eyes. We have had her for a month and a half now. We kept her and the other chickens she came with in quarantine for a month before we integrated them in with our flock. No signs of illness in anyone else. It did not come on fast, rather a slow progression over the last week and a half. She started by breathing with her mouth open a bit and slowly started feeling worse. Today was the first day she was visibly sick. Again, there is NO signs or symptoms being displayed by anyone else. I would like to treat the whole flock with antibiotics asap. Any recommendations?

yes, you can treat the whole flock and probably should. Oxytet is available at feed stores, it is good for treating the whole flock, because it's water soluble. I believe the dosage is two teaspoons per gallon. Chickens don't really get colds like people do but they can get a variety of respiratory illnesses...it sounds like yours might have CRD (Chronic respiratory disease)..but if I were you I'd put her in a hospital pen away from the flock anyway. Don't totally isolate her...but keep her In a pen where she can have a little privacy , but still can hear and see her friends. Keep her on the antibiotic for seven to ten days. If it doesn't start to work within the first two or three days, then you might have to re evaluate and possibly switch your treatment..but it should work pretty well for all of them. Is she still eating well? If she starts going off her feed ,let us know that too.

If Oxytet doesn't work or you can't find it, let us know.

PS: Welcome to BYC, and Hotlips is such a cute name!

Last edited:
Yes, she is still eating no problem. It really was a slow progression over the last week and a half and today she was just miserable with congestion. Again, nobody else is sick or showing any signs of illness. It's very odd. I will get meds tomorrow. thank you for your suggestions.

If she is declining that fast you might want to consider injectible Tylan for her,, which is also available at feed stores. I am not sure of the dosage though, but there are others on here, like Castcartpony, that can probably tell you. Do you have a vet available? The thing is that with chickens, once they start showing symptoms, you must act very quickly because they are already quite ill at that point. It's likely she concealed her symptoms until she couldn't anymore...because that is what they usually do. Baytril is another good antibiotic, but you do have to order it on line, unless you have a vet that will prescribe it for you.

If I were you I would still put the flock on the Oxytet for seven to ten days as a precaution. Be aware that there is a withdrawal period before you can eat the eggs again, though.

Back
Top Bottom